05 December, 2012

December 5 - 25 Days of Christmas Blogging Challenge

Yesterday, I said goodbye to the last vestiges of my 30's and today, I say hello to my forties.

Honestly, the days leading up to my 40th birthday have been filled with thoughts of  'wow' and 'how did I get here?'  Not that I am surprised I'm still alive... no, more like... what happened to those 40 years and how did I get here so fast?

I'll be the first to admit, I don't feel 40 and everyone tells me I don't look 40... And it's true... 40 in 2012 is vastly different than what 40 was 40 years ago in 1972.  But, I'd be remiss if I didn't at least mention that my mortality has become very real and tangible this past year.  I mean, theoretically, half of my life is over... and dang, the first half zoomed by so quickly.

So, what have I learned in my 40 years?  Well, I'm not sure.  I'm not even sure I am who I'm meant to be.

But,...

  • I know that there is nothing more important on this earth than your family.
  • I know that trying to be someone you are not meant to be is only a burden.
  • I know that I have limits and I'm not afraid to admit them.
  • I know how to love fiercely and completely.
  • I know that being a rule follower will keep you "safe", but oftentimes keeps you on the sidelines.
  • I know that as long as I draw breath, God's not finished with me.
  • I know that the days are long, but the years are short.
  • I know my season right now is not about me and that's good too.
And, that's what I know.


Today is also my 14th wedding anniversary.  I'd have to say of my top 5 list of things that I'm most proud of, I'd say that I'm proud of the marriage that Randy and I share.  I'm proud of us... that we've made it this far... and have no plans of quitting.  That he loves me unconditionally and I love him unconditionally..  That he will protect me, love me and make me happy until the day we die and I will do the same.  That's he's mine and I'm his.


Randy, I love you.  Thank you for making me the happiest girl on the planet!

3 comments:

  1. I'll say it again: HAPPY BIRTHDAY and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! You are wise in your forty years, my friend. I love your whole list of what you know. Just letting you know I'm reading your 25 Days of Christmas, even if I'm not participating. I'm still working on number three from your list up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post!! Happy Happy Day! XOXO And here's to 40+40 more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good both of you. And look less than 40 for sure. Coming from me - and I just had new glasses - that must count for something (giggle). Trust me 40 and 50 was NO problem but when my youngest turned 30 I nearly fainted. =0)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Just play nice.