I recently had an eye exam because I needed a new pair of glasses. But, before I made my appointment I called two locations and asked if I could get a new set of glasses with my year old glasses prescription and both times I was told no. I was told that if the prescription was over a year old, then I needed to have my eyes checked again to get a new prescription in order to get new glasses.Last week I picked up my new set of glasses, but unfortunately, the new prescription was not working for me. So, I brought the new glasses back to the store to find out what my options were about returning them, etc.
While I was there, I learned some very interesting facts about eye glasses prescriptions. The technician told me three valuable pieces of information.
1.) Unless your written glasses prescription states "expires after one year" or "expires on (actual date), then your prescription is valid for 2 years in the state of Texas.
2.) You can have a new glasses made from the measurements of a current set of glasses lenses. So, say for example you do not have your actual paper prescription, all you need to do is bring in your current pair of glasses. They will get a the measurements from the current set and make you a new set based on that information. (Make sense?)
3.) If your eye doctor insists on placing an expiration date, insist upon a 2 year expiration limit.
Unfortunately, these rules only apply to glasses prescriptions and not for contact lens prescriptions, but I thought the information was valuable enough to pass along!
Sidenote: I have previously used Zenni Optical for all of my glasses and I still like Zenni, but felt like I needed to get a high quality pair of glasses as my main set. Zenni is great for funky and hip styles, but I needed an everyday "mom" pair!
As the non-glasses parent of a glasses-wearer, I always appreciate your information on this front! We have Zenni glasses as our backup pair, which is great to have, but the regular pair is from the doctor's office where the optimist fixes them for free! :-)
ReplyDelete