Technology has gotten the best of me and it makes me sad.If you've been around long enough, you know I love to create my own photo cards and invitations. I've been doing the girls' birthday invitations, photo Christmas & Valentine's cards for years. It's a great creative outlet for me and the girl's love having something created especially for them by their mom.
A few months ago I offered to make birthday invitations for the daughter of a friend of mine who was having a party. She politely declined telling me that although she loved my work, she was going to use evite for the birthday party invitations because it was easier, cheaper and people were more likely to RSVP. She also said she liked the fact that you could track when people "opened" the evite so you know everyone received it. Of course it made sense to me, but since I'm a traditionalist, I prefer the actual invitation instead.
However, I'm not so sure anymore... For Elisan's party, I created a really cute Luau themed birthday invitation, mailed them out 2 weeks prior to the event and only received 6 RSVP's in a timely manner - meaning within 3-5 days of the party. The other RSVP's occurred within 1-2 days of the party and a few people didn't bother to RSVP at all. This pains me to admit, but had I sent out an evite, I probably wouldn't have had this problem. (sigh...)
I know you can customize your evite to tailor it to your event, but it's just not the same... Sigh... Maybe I just need to embrace the evite and get over myself.
Anyone feel the same way as I do? Do you LOVE evite or LOATHE evite?
I like it for the not-so-major events in life. I just hate that people are so rude that RSVP means nothing anymore. We do big evites for our Sunday school class and get 25% to respond, so evite hasn't made it much better.
ReplyDeleteteh only thing I actually like about an e-vite is being able to see who else was invited or planning to attend. I look forward to anything in the mail that isn't a flyer or a bill so keep it real! And that's all beside the fact of keeping dear friends at the post office employed. Perhaps if we used the system like we used to, the price of the stamp wouldn't be going up so quickly (and if they stopped sponsoring the Tour de France and stuff) I LOVE GETTING THE INVITE IN THE MAIL!!!
ReplyDeleteDitto Anna. Same experience with people still not RSVP'ing for things, at least you know who saw the invite though. And you can get a maybe.
ReplyDeletePeople don't always RSVP on evite either. Sad, I know. I like the old fashioned way myself. Especially for Christmas, and birthdays. Sometimes I opt for both. I send the card then I send an evite as it gets closer. I tend to get a better response this way.
ReplyDelete