23 August, 2010

And then I heard Angels singing "Hallelujah"

Elisan has a shoe problem.

Her foot is small and wide. Not a great combination when you want to wear "big girl" shoes such as cute flats, wedges, slip-on's, etc. because "they" (meaning shoe makers) don't usually carry wide shoe sizes in cute trendy shoes. And, especially not in her teeny-tiny foot size.

Don't believe me? Go try shoe shopping with my kid and you too will want to crawl into fetal position and weep nonstop.

So. Over the weekend, I made the mistake of taking Elisan shoe shopping on Saturday. I don't know how many styles she tried on, but I can assure you, that none of them fit properly. I told her that we'd hold off on shoe shopping for another month or two and that her sandals would work until it got cooler. She seemed okay with that...

Fast forward to today. We were sitting on the couch having our morning "mommy and me" time when the conversation took a turn for the worse. What started out as a conversation about feet, turned into a complete meltdown about her "fat, wide feet". Real tears people. Real tears. After she came to her senses, I told her we'd make one last attempt at shoe shopping before school began.

We went to six stores and she tried on countless pairs of shoes and nothing worked. Nothing.

Until we tried the Hush Puppies store at the outlet mall. (Lucky number seventh store!) The FIRST pair she tried on fit AND she loved them. They were by far the cutest pair of shoes she tried on all day and at a little less than $30.00 for the pair, not a bad price either. The look of relief on her face was priceless. Absolutely Priceless. I know I heard angels singing, I just know it!
And, the store carried this shoe in red/black and pink/silver, so I may go back and grab another pair just because.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you found some shoes! Now you know where to look first. Poor little sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that you're having a difficult time finding shoes, and I feel so bad for Elisan! I have a hard time finding shoes that fit properly and know how frustrated I get as an adult; I can only imagine what it's like for her.

    We also have fit issues with Cate. Her feet are very narrow, and her feet swim in most shoes and rub terrible blisters. We've only ever had continued luck with Stride Rite, and I'm sure you know how pricey those can be.

    Hopefully you've found a brand that will work for her and can go back to them time and again when you're in need of new shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor E. Those new ones are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Elisan - as you might remember our DD now 32 years old has feet size 33 in European sizes. IMAGINE that!! We have to do all our shoe shopping when in France. Still kiddies shoes - but at least they are different than the ones kids buy in Denmark and therefore less possible she will end up standing next to a 9 year old wearing the same shoes one day.
    Tell Elisan these shoes are FAB - really big girls shoes - in fact our DD would wear them without any hesitation - cute with a skirt as well as trousers - WELL done MUM and well done Hush Puppies... not sure we see them a lot here in Denmark anymore.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Just play nice.