06 July, 2010

Is exercise selfish?

Recently a friend said that working out was the only self indulgent activity she participated in and described it as her "hobby".

I immediately agreed, thinking... yep, it's pretty self indulgent, spending 1-2 hours at the gym 4-5 days a week. Making plans and schedules around the gym/working out. For me especially... driving 10 miles to the gym (one way) just so I can workout in an atmosphere that is comfortable for both me and my kids.

Then as I began to ponder this whole self indulgent idea, I stopped and thought, "Is it really selfish?" And I have to say, that on the surface, it can appear selfish, but realistically, wouldn't I rather be healthy and set a good example for my girls? Especially now, as they are growing up and body image will become something that will inevitably be in the forefront of their minds. To show them that you can be healthy and eat properly, as opposed to battling eating disorders and poor weight management?

In addition to a healthy body, working out is healthy for my mind! For me, it's good "therapy". Working off stress, etc. Randy knows the days I don't make it into the gym b/c I'm a teency bit more stressed and quick tempered.

Yeah, I guess both reasons are good enough for me - regardless of what others may think or feel.

So, what are your thoughts? Does exercise and/or time spent at the gym seem self-indulgent or selfish to you? Why or why not?

3 comments:

  1. I don't see it as selfish. I think it's being a good steward of what God has given you- life. He wants you to be healthy and take care of yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, wonder if I said that to you. I know I've said it before. I don't really think it is selfish really but it is my "me time". Ultimately, me being fit will benefit my family---happier mom, healthier mom, good example, etc. But while I am actually working out, it is all about me. I hop on the treadmill or hit the weights with my iPod rocking and I get lost in my own world. I don't need anyone and no one requires anything of me during that time. After spending my day meeting the needs of others, it comes time for just me. So, I guess it isn't selfish because I don't feel bad about taking that time to improve myself. And I am pretty sure I would feel guilty for doing something selfish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elaine8/10/2010

    I've had a person or two frown at how diligent I strive to be at fitting in time for working out (sometimes even my husband). BUT just that hour 1/2 does so much physically and mentally for me, that it truly does benefit everyone in our household :) The funny thing is, I really don't ever get time to truly shop 'til I drop, rarely have "girls nights" and don't have any time consuming hobbies. To me, those activities have a higher chance of falling into the "selfish" catagory. it has always been evident to me that getting exercise can't be considered selfish, but rather necessary.

    SO love checkin' in on your blog, btw!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Just play nice.