22 April, 2010

Rooted


First of all, thank you all for your kind words over the death of my cousin, Sean. I debated about mentioning the circumstances surrounding his death, but realize that his death can bring someone closer to God.

On Tuesday, my cousin took his own life. As you can imagine, this news shook our family to the core. It was a senseless death. A death that could have been prevented. The reality is, that Sean was having a very hard time. His life circumstance were difficult and he could no longer endure the pain. He was trying to turn his life around... trying to make a difference in his life, but couldn't see the light for the clouds.

Sean had recently recommitted his life to God. He was going to church, getting involved and trying to turn his life around. The sad fact is that we fight an earthy enemy - Satan - whose sole desire is to steal, kill and destroy. And let's face it... if we aren't rooted in God's word and grounded in our spiritual walk and prayer life, then we could be overtaken by the enemy of this world too.

You know, I have to believe that Sean is resting in His Heavenly Father's arms right now, because we serve a God full of grace, mercy and love. I have to believe that Sean's death is not a victory for Satan, but victory for God. Sean is at peace now. I truly believe it.

The enemy is real. He is brutal. And he will not stop.

But, we can stop the enemy... by asking God into our lives and becoming rooted in His word, His ways and His love.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Erica- I'm so sorry. Suicide is such a difficult thing for everyone to imagine. I hope you truly feel the peace of the Lord right now and his wife and children can focus on the many acts he did in his life and not the last act he committed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said Erica. Having lost Jeremy's brother in the same way, I love that we have the hope in knowing they are fully at peace and finally have the joy they couldn't seem to grasp here on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Erica - as you know - I lost my lovely, young nephew in the same way - his decision was due to Post Traumatic Stress Syndrom after serving 3 times for the UN in Bosnia. My thoughts are with you and your cousins family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erica, thank you for sharing that. I agree, we must be firmly planted so we can stand in times of trouble. Well said my friend. God bless you and your family. Rachel

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Just play nice.