In effort to pare down our bills, he's been cutting back the fluff on some of our fun stuff like cable, internet and cell phones. His most recent attack is our cell phones!
About 2 months ago, he decided to try out Skype. Skype (if you don't know) is software that allows you to make phone calls over the internet. If you and the person you are calling has Skype on your computer, you can speak to one another for free. All you need is a microphone and speakers and/or headphones. Well, he went one step further... he bought a mobile Skype phone. It is a phone that strictly works off of wi-fi connectivity. But, he can use it at home, work, church and any place that has open wi-fi. In addition to purchasing the phone, he bought a Skype phone number for $30.00/year. He also purchased the capability to make calls to non-Skype users for another $30.00/year. So, for $60.00, plus the purchase of the phone ($150.00) he has a "mobile" phone. (Breaking that down, we're talking $17.50/month for phone this year. Next year, it will only be $5.00/month because the phone is paid for.) The bad thing about Skype is that you can't use it on the go. You have to have wi-fi to be able to use it. But, he has a work cell phone that he can use to phone me if he ever needed to contact me while he was out of wi-fi range.

Last weekend, he bought me a Skype phone, plus the additional $30 phone number and the $30 option to allow me to phone non-Skype users. My phone however plugs right into my USB port on my computer. My phone was only $40.00 at Fry's. So far, I don't have any complaints.
I still have my mobile phone because I need to be reached if the school calls me or if I have an emergency, etc. But, for home usuage, the Skype phone will be great!
Be sure to check out Goodwill Gal too! I'm posting for the 25 Days of Christmas Blogging Challenge there as well!
I could not be married to Randy. Wait, let me correct that, he could not be married to me!
ReplyDeleteAnna, I was never thrifty before I married Randy. In fact, he bailed me out of my debt once we were married. Yes, he's cheap, no doubt about it, BUT, I trust him and know that he has our best financial interest at heart. It's not just about pinching pennies... it's about college fund, retirement fund, emergency fund, Disney fund... :)
ReplyDeleteBut, yes... I'd agree... y'all would butt heads! :)
We would but heads too. MOM
ReplyDelete