I'm suffering from major time management issues!Most people who know me, know that I am pretty organized. My home is organized, my car is organized, my schedule is organized. Time management comes easily when all areas of your life are organized wouldn't you agree?
Well, apparently I'm not as organized as I am thought to be because I am really having a hard time juggling everything I need to do at work right now. It's the little things like email, meetings, tasks, etc. that are just enough of a distraction that keep me from performing the way I would like to. Add in the fact that I only work 20 hours a week... well, to be perfectly honest, I feel like I'm spinning my wheels! Don't get me wrong, I love my job. I really do! Like I said before, God set this job aside for me! It's the learning curve that is hard!
And truthfully, I'd love to be able to put in more time to actually finish a task. If I was left to my devices I would go in early, stay later and fiddle around with work on the computer at home. But, I have to honor my man and not work from home... at least not work from home and take time away from my family. And, staying later is not an option since I have to pick the girls up from school... same with going in early.
I have to say...it's hard! I want to excel at work, but I want to give 100% at home. (Yes, I'm blogging right now which seems like I'm not giving 100% of my time to my family, but blogging requires zero thought... AND, I'm cooking... see time management?!)
So, what's a gal to do? Any ideas oh ye internets? I need schooling in time management... but as Randy just said, "When you find someone who knows anything about it, let me know!"
Don't worry, Erica. It will get easier as you get into it further. I used to stress out terribly when I first started my job, but now I'm quite efficient (yet still proficient).
ReplyDeleteDo you have Outlook at work? I have found that to be incredibly organizing for me. All my emails, calendar appointments and tasks in one place, and it gives me reminders!
Last advice, which I'm sure you're already doing: pray!
Who am I to give you advice I have seen your home and gee you're more organized than me even on a good day. BUT I have juggled the work/family thing for more than 30 years so perhaps I do know a few tricks. At least this is what works for me. I write a list of topics to deal with tomorrow when I leave my desk. That way I can "hang my brain at the office" and not spend time thinking about work at home (works NEARLY every day). Gather the tiny but timeconsumings tasks, don't jump up and run to the xerox everytime something needs to be copied - but go once or twice during the day and get it all done. Plan dinners for a few days ahead to cut down on shopping time (but I have a feeling you do that already). And please remember you have only JUST started - if you were a champion now - you would be bored within a month. Take care and good luck. Hugs
ReplyDelete