Back in June, I was diagnosed with "moderate" hearing loss. This week, I got a call from my Ear, Nose and Throat doctor's office about a 9 month follow up appointment to get my hearing re-checked and evaluated to determine if there have been any changes.
But... I can't go. When Randy changed jobs back in July our insurance changed. The new insurance does not cover any hearing related exams, testing or devices. What? How is that possible? I would think that hearing is kind've important , don'tcha think? And paying out of pocket is not possible since the hearing test that was done in June cost over $2K. Don't even get me started on the high dollar expense of hearing aids! They are about $5K for a set!
Truthfully though... even if my hearing has gotten progressively worse in the last nine months, I'm not to the hearing aid level yet. So, realistically, getting my hearing checked would be for informational purposes only.
I will say that my hearing impairment is really a drag. I do notice more and more how I don't hear things they way that I should. While I know someone is speaking, I can't always make out what they are saying. It's like garbled goop to my ears. Blah!
Gaining some perspective: I'm just blessed to be able to hear at all! Garbled or not...
See - that's what I love about our social system. Noone in Denmark would have to pay ANYTHING to get their hearing tested - and should hearing aid be necessary there is a set you can get for free and some more fancy sets you can pay to get but nothing like the price you mention. Hope your ears get their act together and stop bothering you. Hugs
ReplyDeleteI hear you on the insurance problems...when I was growing up my family had amazing insurance. I had no idea, until I got married and went off theirs, how much it cost to have insurance like that!
ReplyDeleteI have been having wrist problems since about June, and I went to see the Physical Therapist today (finally), and Husband told me it most likely won't be covered, so we'll have to pay for it. So sad.
That said, I am in NO WAY for nationalized healthcare. :)
Me too, Erica, and diagnosed at about your age, too. The good news is that at age 54 now I have not any progression, praise God! I'm a continual prayer, and now that I think about it, I wonder if that has anything to do with the lack of progression? Hmmmmm.
ReplyDeleteAs far as healthcare goes, like everything else, it's all about money. In Denmark everything is paid for because taxes are about 80% of your salary and apathy is so high that they have to pay young people to go to college -- no incentive to excel or achieve, so why bother? Healthcare there is given out by the same apathetic caregivers. You really do get what you pay for.