18 March, 2008

My child, the worrier


My sweet precious little six year old girl is a perpetual worrier. A little girl should not have a care in the world, but Elisan is in a constant state of panic over something. Randy says that it is totally a characteristic that I've passed onto her. If that is true, then Elisan, I truly am sorry for the burden I have placed on you.

The other day, Randy and I were discussing politics and Elisan overheard part of the conversation. The deluge of questioning began. "Who's the president?" "Do you want her to be the president?" "What is taxes?" "Why does the president want to take our money?" So, now, at each prayer, be it dinner blessing or bedtime prayer, Elisan prays "That the person that we want to win will become president." I am not making this stuff up. She came up with this by herself.

Another example of how intense this little person is... Last night, we were expecting some significant thunderstorms and a slight possibility of tornadoes in our area. Elisan launched into the whole, "What if a tornado hits our house?" "What about the thunder, Daddy... I'm scared of thunder." "Daddy, is there going to be a tornado?" And, on and on... and again, this morning... The poor child was awake at 5:30 a.m. worried about the wind outside. How do I know? Because I heard her milling around upstairs and when she came downstairs to find me, the first thing she said to me was, "Mommy, it sure is windy outside. Was there a tornado last night?"

I worry... that my child is a worrier. It breaks my heart to see her so full of worry. Randy and I remind her that she needs to stop worrying and let Mommy and Daddy worry about stuff. That she is six and she only needs to be concerned with... well, nothing, really.

But, how do I do that, if I too, am a worrier? I need to focus more on what the Bible tells us about worrying and convey that message to Elisan everyday. If she sees me in a less worried state, perhaps it will rub off on her.

Paul reminds us in Philippians (4:6) "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."

I think those are words to live by, don't ya think?

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/18/2008

    GREAT words to live by. I have the same concern that I will pass on my anxiousness to my daughter. I think worrying is hardest to overcome for mothers, but yes, if we can, by God's grace, learn to trust Him and worry less, it would be a great legacy to leave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That verse really speaks to me, since I am a constant worrier, too. Thanks for sharing this post; they ARE great words to live by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3/19/2008

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that verse being a worrier myself.

    I wonder if you need to give her an outlet for her worries like a journal. I always find it helps to put them someplace though it doesn't always work.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Just play nice.