Gone are the simplistic days of s-p-e-l-l-i-n-g out key words in our adult conversations. Some conversations consist of many spelled out words.
Here's an example: "Where do you want to e-a-t this evening? How about J-a-s-o-n-'s? Or C-h-u-y-'s? Or, we could s-t-a-y h-e-r-e? You know, the elder child will want C-h-u-y-'s, but' I'd rather J-a-s-o-n-'s."
But, today may mark the beginning of the end of our cryptic language.
I was on the phone with Randy and I spelled out a key word to our conversation. I mentioned the neighbor's c-a-t and how much the girls' like it and that too bad I was allergic to c-a-t-s, or else I'd like to get one for them.
Not 2 seconds after I hung up with Randy, Elisan says, "What about cats, mom?"
Me, "Oh, nothing, sweetpea."
Her, "Are we getting a cat?"
Me, "No. Remember? Cat's make mommy's eyes itchy."
Her, "But I heard you say you said you wanted to get one."
So... there it is. My life, no longer sheltered by the usage of spelled out words. Oh, it will be a hard habit to break. I'm sure I'll continue to use s-p-e-l-l-e-d out words for now.
Perhaps we can begin using Pig Latin?
Nah. I'd have to use my oggin'nay for that!
That is so funny! DH and I used to try and use pig latin, but, my oldest son figured that out pretty quick.
ReplyDeleteNO - you will just have to spell in Danish dear. I remember you have a dictionary - correct ???
ReplyDeleteMy mum used to speak in English when my sisters were allowed something I was not old enough to do. Until I picked up the word "down to play" and insisted I wanted to go down to play too. That ended that game.
ME AGAIN. Guess what - there is "something" for you at my blog.
ReplyDeleteFor old times sake and because you're YOU!!
Hugs and have a nice day.
Too funny!! And little ears pick up everything!!:)
ReplyDeletehehe
ReplyDeleteI was just wondering when that would start to happen. Now you need to code word things. We've started doing that, too.
ReplyDeleteCheers! LA