08 June, 2007

Dinnertime

Dinnertime at my house has become my least favorite times of my day.

For those who know me, know that I love to cook. It is one of my favorite things to do. I love new recipes, I love grocery shopping and I love using new ingredients that I've never used before. And, of course, I love to eat!

So, one would assume that dinnertime at my house would be a DINING EXPERIENCE, not a DINING DISASTER.

Here's how dinner goes down at my house.

1. Elisan immediately scoffs at whatever it is that I place before her. It could be macaroni and cheese, topped with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles... she will still complain. (Okay, not really, but it is ALMOST that bad!)

2. As soon as the first bite is taken by Elisan, she begins the, "How many bites do I have to eat until I get _________" fill in the blank here, folks - Popsicle, ice cream cup, etc. I mean seriously... it's with every bite. "How many more bites, now?" AH!

3. Oh, yeah... and the dessert thing... I'm already aware of the fact that she expects desserts after dinner and how baaaaad that is, but hey! If it gets her to eat the good stuff, then a Popsicle ain't gonna hurt her.

4. Kyla is learning all of these wonderful traits from her big sis, so we have to hear the little mockingbird in the background echoing her sister's complaints.

5. Elisan and Kyla duel over who gets to talk and apparently whoever speaks the loudest gets to dominate the conversation. This while Randy and I have trying to have a conversation about the day, etc.

6. Elisan is constantly up and down from her seat. When we are not telling her to "eat the food on your plate" or "use your inside voice" or "it's Mommy's turn to talk now", then we are telling her to "sit down" or "get back to the table".

7. Kyla Mae does not usually spill her water, but two nights ago, she spilled her water TWICE. Why? Because she insists on keeping it in front of her plate, not behind it. It's a miracle she doesn't spill it every night.

I've always known how important it is to sit down at the dinner table and share a meal as a family. That was standard practice at mine and Randy's homes. And, I wish I could enjoy dinner time more. The fact is though, that by the time dinner rolls around, I'm exhausted from the day and spent at least an hour preparing dinner, so all I want to do is sit down and enjoy it -- but, I can't.

So the remedy? There is none. We stay on the status quo path, because it's like Randy says, "One day, they won't want to talk to us."

6 comments:

  1. :( Please tell me that will not happen to us!! You get it all figured out and tell me what to do, so that does not happen with my girls!! Besides, I cannot imagine, LE not eating anything I put in front of her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a similar problem but with my elderly mother...lol

    I have no children but i bet deep down you are enjoying every minute of it..and so you should.

    Just found your blog...going to enjoy reading it, i can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell them that miss Charlotte can hear them all the way to Denmark and does not like to hear children complain about food you've made cause you're such a good cook.

    HA HA - no maybe you shouldn't - we are experiencing the exact same thing here with Elias. But when dinner is served here at our house - he is beginning to understand that's what he gets - whereas at home he keeps whining till his Mum gives up and makes him something else.

    I too have used the dessert bribe methode and as long as it send a couple of bites the right way down - I cannot see the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I just stumbled onto your blog, and wanted to say you are not alone. Meal time at our house is similar, but not only do I have to tell Laura how many bites of each item she has to eat, I must count for her too... Drives me batty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6/13/2007

    I tell Jackson, "If you ask again (how many bites) then you will not get anything. And if you don't eat, then it's straight to bed without supper." Worked on me when I was his age. Now, if I can get the two year old to stop throwing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6/13/2007

    I think Joanna has the right idea. Just because you want think they will talk to you later when they are teens iss no reason to let them "rule the roost" now. They have got to know who is in charge. Elisan's and Kyla's Meme

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Just play nice.