15 July, 2006

The Trade Off

I've HAD IT!

I've HAD it with my car! It's small, we're cramped and the glove compartment rivals the trunk in storage capacity!

Over the 4th of July holiday, I began my campaign for a new vehicle. And, when I say campaign, I should really say tirade, because it was not pretty. I'll admit it.

But, I needed to get my point across to my husband, who is a self-proclaimed tight-wad. So, I lobbied hard for a new vehicle. But, it wasn't working, because he had just bought a new truck last year that was designated as our "family vehicle" and we had just spent a bucket load of cash tuning up the (ever reliable) BMW, plus, not to mention new tires all around.

Then, he had a light bulb moment! He decided, rather than trade in my car, he'd trade in his (almost) brand new truck for ME (that's right, folks! FOR ME!!!) a new SUV.

His Saturday was spent going from dealership to dealership. I was not there, because I was on the road traveling back from our hometown. And truthfully, the way Randy car deals... I wouldn't want to be there anyway! He's totally hard-core!

So, anyway... our first choice was a TOYOTAL FJ CRUISER. Well, if you live in Austin, then forget it, because there is a 6 month long waiting list!

After test driving several vehicles, my husband settled on a Nissan Xterra. The dealer give him a great deal! They are in the office, doing the dealership song n' dance, when it comes down to the trade in. The dealer offered my husband only $12K for the truck he paid over $20K for last year. And, it only has a little over 10K miles on it!

Um, what? Tell me you are kidding, right?

So, he walked. And one thing I know for sure... when Randy walks out, he ain't coming back! He is done with you, you miserable car dealers!

So, no new SUV for me. But, I did finally cool off enough to come up with a nice trade off, for the lack of a trade in.

I told my husband that I'd hang on to the car for another year and in that compromise, I promised not to complain relentlessly about how small the car is, or how cramped we are, or how I can't even fit the groceries in the trunk, or how the a/c just doesn't cool enough anymore. I mean, don't get me wrong, I will be thinking it, I just won't be saying it outloud - unless you count low mumblings... and then it will be so quiet only I will get the satisfaction from it.

So, there... that's my trade off.

I'm already shopping around for my next vehicle. I think I'm going to pass on the FJ Cruiser. I don't know if I can get with the gun-slit windows and the suicide doors.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7/18/2006

    Need some training about how to get what you want?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Just play nice.