17 July, 2006

Who are you?

Have you ever had one of those moments when you look at your child and say,

"Who are you?"

I have those moments often. Especially now, that Elisan is almost five. The things that come out of her mouth amaze me - and sometimes not in a good way.

But mostly, it's the stuff that she does that is so far reaching from my personality (or Randy's) that it makes me wonder where she gets this stuff.

For example, Elisan never meets a stranger. Me, however? I'm slowly coming out of my shell - at 33! Randy? To him, everyone is a stranger - sometimes even his own family!

Elisan talks incessantly. I talk A LOT, but not nearly the amount as Elisan talks. Randy never talks. Which kind of makes things hard, when you have an incessant talker, an average women talker, a newly talking talker and a no talker in the house.

That brings me to KM. She is our newest talker and boy, is she LOUD! I mean, for such a petite little girl, she can definitely get your attention. Perhaps she is having to compete with the incessant talker. Yes?

I can safely say that KM is not like Randy or me in the "loud" department.

And yet, there are so many ways in which our kids favor us, mimick us, and carry out our traits. But, I'm glad that I often pause and say to myself (or even outloud), "Who are you?" because it reminds me that they are not clones of Randy and me (thank God!), but unique little beings, in and of themselves!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Just play nice.