08 January, 2014

Concertina Wire Anyone?

Okay, so this kinds tells off on my husband.  But, he can take it. I have no doubts about that.

Back in November, one Saturday night, Randy and I were sitting in the living room around 10:30 p.m. when all of a sudden we hear this noise coming from the backyard.  At first, we thought it was our neighbors messing around with the garbage can, but then suddenly the security lights kick on an there is a man who appeared at our BACK DOOR with this hand on the door knob trying to get in.

Randy jumped up and grabbed his .357 Magnum (yes, he keeps a weapon downstairs for such an occasion) and asked the man what he wanted.  Clearly, Randy had a gun, there was no question about that.  The man said he needed help and was still trying to use the door knob to get into the house!

Randy told the guy he'd help him, but that he was not coming into the house (while still holding his gun).  After about another 15 seconds of trying to reason with this guy about why he could not come into the house, he took off and jumped the wooden fence that encloses the front yard from the back yard and he was gone.

We called the police and they came out and determined that the man came from the back pasture behind our home.  The barbed wire fence was damaged and there were boot marks near the fence.

The back pasture?  Really?  There's no road anywhere near the back pasture.  In fact, it's downright secluded, except for the farmer who lives on the property.

What's weird is that the man was dressed nice and he wasn't carrying any weapons that we could tell. We figured he was drunk and/or high and somehow got mixed up (?) at to where he was?  Not sure...

What I am sure about is that Randy decided to go all commando and has outfitted the back pasture fence with 10 ft horse panel fencing.  He wanted to put concertina razor wire (still does, in fact) but I put my foot down on that one.  I'm sure our HOA would not look too favorable upon that.  Heck, I'm pretty sure they would approve of the 10ft horse panel fencing.



Anyway, he's still looking into ways to fortify the wooden fence that surrounds the three sides of our home that would not draw attention to the HOA and that I will approve of.  His ideas of security and MY ideas of security are not the same.

Randy does say that the number one security measure that he has in place right now is the motion detector security lights at the back door and corners of the back yard.  That helped us to see that the man was unarmed and we were able to give a good description of what he looked like to the police.

3 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Gracious. I'm so glad Randy was home and not traveling!!! Stories like this are why Daniel wants me to learn to use his guns. I'm so glad y'all are safe, and Randy's fencing is going to keep the bad guys out. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness! Obviously I am way behind on reading your blog. This is crazy scary!! I agree that the security lights are a great security point. But that wire's gonna help, too. :-) Country boys can survive!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Just play nice.