REMINDER: Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Our third (and last day) in Yellowstone was spent exploring waterfalls. However, the biggest and most popular waterfall in Yellowstone is the Upper and Lower Falls. Yep. Neat name, right? Elisan was bummed that the name for the biggest falls in Yellowstone were so boring.
Our first stop was to hike down Uncle Tom's Trail to view the Lower Falls. These steps descended 500 feet down into the canyon (or 300 stair steps). Oh, and I forgot to mention... it was raining and those stairs were treacherous!
Unfortunately, this is the best picture (below) I could get because I only had my high-powered camera lens with me. But, Randy had his iPhone, so we had someone snap a quick picture of us there. We were so close you could feel the mist of the waterfall. And loud! Oh my, it was very loud. But, awesome to see up close. Definitely worth the 600 stair steps.
(By the way... I was so winded from the climb in the high elevation, that I had to take 3-4 breaks just climbing back up. Whew! I burned my calories for that day!)
Here's the view of the stairs and the 500 ft descent to see the Lower Falls. This picture was taken for the waterfall drop on the other side in the picture below.
It was another crazy hike to get to this viewing platform, but what a neat treat. To see the water rushing over the edge... And again... so close!
There were several viewing points to see the massive waterfall. And we stopped at most of them. After a while, Elisan began asking, "How many times are we going to see thee same waterfall?!" But, I wanted to see them all.
The Lower Falls deposits into the "Grand Canyon of Yellowstone", shown below. It's pretty and impressive.
![]() |
| View of the "Grand Canyon of Yellowstone" |
The picture below is perhaps my favorite picture from the entire trip. This was taken right after a thunderstorm moved through the area. (Which is pretty common in Yellowstone. The weather was changing constantly... snow, rain, sun... all in that order.)
As we were leaving on of the waterfall viewing points, we passed this... Glacial Boulder. Kinda interesting to see a big ol' rock planted in the middle of a forest.










I can't believe how bundled up y'all are. I would have never thought it would still be that cool. I'm jealous!
ReplyDelete