15 August, 2012

Go West - Day 10

On Sunday, we got on the road as quickly as possible.  We had a 5 hour drive ahead of us and we wanted to be sure to have plenty of time in historic Santa Fe.

When we arrived in Santa Fe, we were pleasantly surprised to discover that the 61st Annual Traditional Spanish Market was in full swing.  Downtown was bustling with thousands of people in this open air market.  Artists from all over were showcasing their work and it was amazing to see all of the different styles, mediums and designs.

After visiting downtown, we headed back to our hotel.  By this time, we were hot and tired and honestly... ready to unwind.  We brought the kids down to the pool and relaxed a bit.  Afterwards, we ate at the hotel's restaurant and went to be early!

The next morning, we woke up at 4:45 a.m. (yes, THAT early) to get on the road.  We had a 12 hour drive to get home and by that time... we were ready to get home.  We arrived home by 7 p.m. and it was soooo awesome to finally be home... even though I had this to tend to...


The girls did really well on this entire trip.  They were set up with plenty of things to keep them occupied.
  • Audio Books (borrowed from the library and uploaded to the iPod)
  • iPods (Games)
  • White board w/dry erase markers
  • Movies (borrowed from the library)
  • License Plate Game (they found 46 states!)
  • Road Trip Bingo
  • Flip Book Scrapbook w/journaling pages (yes, I required them to journal "field notes")
  • Yarn and Thread Crafts

The flip book scrapbooks worked out really well!  They collected brochures from each stop and added each to the ring binder.  It was a genius idea I found on Pinterest.  I created the scrapbook pages several months before the trip and printed them out the week before we left.  I laminated the front and back covers and placed the pages in order of our trip.  They LOVED the flip book and I think we've discovered a brand new way to memorialize our vacations!  (Once home, I printed some of their favorite photos to add to their flip books.  Again... genius!)


All in all, our Go West Road Trip of 2012 was a huge success!  In fact, we can't wait to plan our next trip!

1 comment:

  1. Such a good idea - I feel two miniature scrappers have seen the light! =0) I used to "force" my dd to take notes and gather stuff as well - and she still cherish her little books from the holidays.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Just play nice.