05 September, 2010

Save the drama for your mama

Ever had one of those weeks where one day everything is right in your world and then in one moment (or email) everything you know to be right in the world is tossed up like a salad?

I don't know about you, but I'd just as soon forgo that kind of drama, thank you very much.

However, last week, Randy was 'unofficially' offered a job, that according to him, was the greatest opportunity of his life. This job was not something he was looking for. Rather, it quite simply 'fell into his lap."

The truth of the matter is, as much as I wanted to say yes to this job and subsequent life-altering opportunity, I could not. And in effect, it hurt him. And, it hurt us.

We took a hit this week, but we're stronger for it now. It made me stop and fully appreciate what a marriage is and what it isn't. What we learned is:

  1. Marriage is a compromise.
  2. If you know in your heart the right decision, then don't sabotage the decision-maker.
  3. Being emotional doesn't give you a "free pass" to say things you don't mean.
  4. Make your decision with all of the facts at hand.
  5. Don't go back on promises.
  6. God is ultimately in control and it is so important to seek Him in your decision-making process.
We both made mistakes this week, but hopefully the next time we are faced with a difficult decision, we'll be able to handle the situation better.

As for now, the decision was to decline the offer and continue on the path we are currently on. I can't say I'm not relieved... however, I know my husband is mourning the loss of the opportunity. I pray that we made the right decision and that God has something bigger and better in store for us down the road.

1 comment:

  1. #2 is so well said. Glad you both made it through the week.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Just play nice.