27 August, 2010

The Redneck Panini

A while back I was hanging out at my friend's house and she had a fancy Panini maker. I don't recall the brand/style, but here's a picture of what a Panini maker looks like.

Kind of reminiscent of the George Foreman Grill is it not? I got rid of my George Foreman grill ages ago. I never used it.
Anyway, back to the panini. There's something about a squished up hot sandwich that is so tasty. So, I began looking around Goodwill for a used George Foreman grill. Believe me, there's plenty to choose from, but I could never commit to actually purchasing one. Apparently, I'm not the only one who didn't buy into the fat-free "grill" that George peddled.

Fast forward to my redneck "aha" moment.

I wondered how I could replicate the panini at home with my current small household appliances and I came across my waffle maker. Yep. My heart-shaped waffle maker.

Okay, I'll admit, realistically, it's not the best design for a panini sandwich, but when you're desperate for a hot squished sandwich, it works like a charm.

So, here ya go.
The Redneck Panini
  • Submarine sandwich bread (or ciabatta, etc.)
  • 6-8 leaves fresh spinach
  • 2 slices red bell pepper
  • 1 slice of cheese
  • 2-3 slices of deli meat
  • 1 tbsp basil pesto
  • (Optional Add-ons: black olives and red onion slices)
  • Pam Olive Oil spray
Assemble sandwich, spray outside with Pam and squish in your waffle iron (or George Foreman Grill or Fancy Pants Panini Maker... whatever!)

Now, if anyone wants to unload their George Foreman grill, I'll gladly take it off your hands!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/27/2010

    ya know - perhaps this is why I still have that thing. We sure didn't like the way it "grilled" but a panini might just hit the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you think outside the box! :) Your sandwich sure looks tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the only reason why I have a George Foreman Grill … I think it makes wonderful paninis for a fraction of the price of a "real" panini maker :) … I have a small one from Target that I think cost me $20 and it's perfect for the job :)

    Love your improvised paninis by the way!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Just play nice.