Yesterday afternoon, Elisan decided she wanted a bowl of cereal for her afternoon snack. I poured up the cereal and milk and like every other day, she brought the bowl from the countertop to the table. However, yesterday, the bowl did not make it to the table. In fact, the bowl, along with the contents of cereal and milk crashed to the floor in shattered bits.
I'll be honest here... I didn't handle this situation very well. It was late afternoon and was I now faced with the task of cleaning up a ceramic shard, sticky, milky mess that would include sweeping, mopping, etc. I was tired and setting out on this hour long task was not how I wanted to spend my afternoon.
So, I yelled. I yelled and she cried. She ran upstairs crying and shortly after, I snapped out of my frenzy and met her upstairs with profuse apology. We hugged, loved and finally laughed and we both walked away feeling better.
My floor needed to be cleaned anyway.
So, this morning, Kyla Mae is eating cereal and she is fiddling with the television remote (yes... I let them watch TV while they eat breakfast...sue me!) and what do you know? She dumped her cereal on the table and in her lap/chair.
Oh c'mon... Seriously?
Even given a second chance to react in a more calm way, I didn't. Although, I didn't yell, I still reacted poorly. I was given a second chance and I failed. Once I figured out that I had a second chance, I swiftly corrected my awful behavior and set to make things right with Kyla.
This reminded me that I serve a God of second chances. When I fail or sin, He's not looking down on me with disdain and unforgiveness. Oh sure, when we sin, it does grieve Him, but He never withholds forgiveness and is readily waiting for us with open arms.
And just like my Heavenly Father, my children were quick to forgive me for my poor reaction. They love me and show grace to me when I fail. When they make a mistake, I am grieved, but I forgive them, hug them, love them and (hopefully) learn how to better handle the next time they fail or make a mistake.
Parenting is such a shining example of God's love for us. It's all about forgiveness, grace and love. And, second chances.
Thank God for second chances.
AMEN...I too have many of those days.
ReplyDeleteGod is the God of second chances. One of my favorite Veggie Tales songs.
ReplyDeleteThat happens to us all, me included. So glad God has so much grace for us.