Back when the kids were really little, I'd literally daydream about what it would be like to go out on a date with my husband sans kids. We hardly ever used babysitters when our kids were little for various reasons. 1.) Couldn't find a babysitter; 2.) Babysitter was busy; 3.) Babysitters are expensive; 4.) Etc., etc.
I loved having a babysitter come and babysit the kids on the few times we've ever voluntarily hired a babysitter. Oh sure, we've had company parties that required we hire babysitters and that was fun too, but rarely did we ever say, "Hey, let's hire a babysitter tonight and hit the town!" Okay, we NEVER did that. Ever.
We would however, always hire for my/our birthday/anniversary. If you are new to my blog, my wedding anniversary is also my birth date. No particular reason, other than Randy is the gift that keeps on giving and giving and giving.
This year, my birthday is on Saturday. Hello! Date night! But, as the weeks passed by I realized the girls were getting really excited about my upcoming birthday. Talking about cake, presents, breakfast in bed, etc. So, I posed this question to them over the weekend... "Would you rather mommy invite a babysitter to come over to the house on Saturday for pizza and movie? Or, would you rather go to a fancy restaurant with mommy and daddy?" They both said, "Restaurant with mommy and daddy!" Mind you... we have family date night every Saturday night, so going out to dinner is not that BIG of a deal at our house. But, nonetheless, they said they would rather spend my birthday with me, rather than spending it with a fun babysitter.
We'll I'll be honest here... that just warms my heart. I LOVE the fact that my kids would rather spend time with us! There will be plenty of days ahead when Randy and I can celebrate our anniversary without our kids... In fact, as my kids get older, the days of them wanting to be seen in public with us will diminish. So, I'm relishing this time, cherishing every moment of specialness I can squeeze out of my family.
I am truly blessed!
Be sure to check out Goodwill Gal too! I'm posting for the 25 Days of Christmas Blogging Challenge there as well!
very cool. Our kids are the same as far as wanting to spend time with us on big occasions, though the 13 yr old is getting less so.
ReplyDeleteI love it!
ReplyDeleteBet it will be a lovely bday. Our marriage (33 years) survived fine without a lot of dates and like you I cherish time spent with my family.
ReplyDeletePS I somehow LOST the file you sent me with the day 3 and forward - One minute it was in my inbox - now it's NOT - call it senior moments, blonde moment anything BUT could you please resend it??? Pretty please with a cherry on top... =0) Still NO mail from Denmark ???