18 February, 2009

What's a gal to do?

So the reality is that I have less time to spend at the gym these days. My gym time used to begin at 8:30 a.m., but since I began working, I try to squeeze in an hour at the gym after work before I pick up the girls from school.

And because I only have an hour, I have to choose... weight lifting or cardio. The truth is, we have all of the weight equipment I could possibly want to use here at the house because Randy works out at home. But, the reality is that I have only used it 4-5 times. (Whiny voice...) It's just not the same as the gym weights. And the gym also has the fabulous cardio machines that I love! The stair climber and the elliptical are my two favorites.

So, I'm torn... do I start weight lifting here and do cardio at the gym? Or lift weights at the gym and drag my bottom outside to run?

See, the problem with me running outside? Well, I hate to run. I loathe it. Oh, sure, I ran track in school, but c'mon, that was over 20 years ago. Besides, I only ran the sprinting races like the 400 yd relay, 100yd dash and the 100yd hurdles. I also ran the one mile relay but by the end of my lap around the track I was sucking wind so bad that I thought I would pass out... or throw up. Seriously, it was that bad.

The fact remains... I am not a long distance runner...never have been, never will be. But, running is free. It is efficient. It is effective. So, I wonder... should I give it another go? Keep the weight lifting at the gym and run in the neighborhood? Or keep the cardio at the gym and lift weights at home?

Any thoughts from you runners out there? Oh, and don't go tell me to buy a pair of running shoes that are over $75.00. It just ain't gonna happen...

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/18/2009

    Can you alternate? Some weeks do your lifting at home and your cardio at the gym, then when that gets old flip it around? I find in the summer it's easier for me to do my cardio at home (though I still do it at the gym when I'm there), but your summers are unbearably hot. Another thing that might make home cardio more lively are workout videos. I have several that really kick me in the butt, and I think Jillian (your idol from Biggest Loser) has workout videos out, too. Haven't tried them but they might be good. That way you could shake things up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts too - alternate until you get bored. I hate to lift at home, so I would say lift at gym, but I hate to run too! Ben and I have been going at night and it is so stinking busy, so you probably don't want to try then either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok here's my take on it...I just don't think God made our bodies to withstand a lot of running...especially long distances. Our "stuff" inside is held up with tendons and ligaments, ya know? and what happens when they get over stretched from all that bouncing? they fall. That's exactly why I don't run, it's my story and I'm sticking to it. OK, I don't work out either, but that's a different story. Good for you that you are at least finding an hour to do either!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Just play nice.