My dad has lived his life full of physical pain. From the time he was a little boy he was diagnosed with a disease called Perthes. Basically the femur ball at the hip joint dies from lack of blood flow and the bone grind against the hip socket. He walked on crutches for several years as a child because of it. Since then, he has had a full hip replacement, which included lengthening this leg because he walked with a severe limp all of his life.
My dad has had cancer. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer in his early 50's which is a very young age for this type of cancer in men. He has lived cancer free since then. He is fortunate enough to receive his care from M.D. Anderson and has a phenomenal doctor. He sees her regularly for blood work and bone scans to make sure the cancer is kept at bay.
My dad has had a heart attack. He has also had angioplasty at least two times in his heart.
My dad suffers from neuropathy, which is a nerve disease that causes intense pain. He experiences pain when he sits, stands, walks... whatever he does... he is in constant pain.
About two weeks ago, my dad had a stroke. Thank the Lord it was "mild" and he recovered from the episode within a few hours. My mom, who is an R.N. was with him and was able to immediately determine what was going on. They are being referred to a neurologist as I write today to determine what his next step is.
I guess I write all of this to say that I can't imagine living the life that my father has lived. He has had his fair share of pain and suffering and to be honest, I only listed the big stuff. There are a lot of little things, health wise, that he has had to deal with over the course of his life... stuff that honestly, will wear anyone down to the point of screaming out... "WHY ME, GOD?"
And, don't think for a second he hasn't done that very thing.
I'm reminded of Paul the Apostle who lived with a "thorn" in his flesh. The Bible is not clear as to what that suffering was - whether is was physical, mental, spiritual... but Paul asked God to heal him three times and God did not heal him. While Paul was able to perform healing miracles, he himself was left without healing. To a person who doesn't have Jesus in their life may wonder what kind of God would do that to their beloved apostle. But what Paul's sufferings taught him was to rely on God.
I can honestly say that my dad, no matter what the circumstances has always turned his heart to God and sought after Him. He may not understand and may enter into a period of mourning and sadness, but he eventually will look to God and rely on Him to carry him through.
I don't know why my dad has been afflicted the way that he has been throughout his life, but God knows the purpose and the reason. I pray that my dad remain steadfast, seek God's guidance and praise Him, even in this desert place.
Thank you for sharing this story. Your dad is an amazing man. You are blessed to have him be a shining example of what it means to fully rely on God.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to read of your fathers health problems. I will pray with you that he continue to seek God's guidance.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post about your dad--and what a legacy he is passing on to his family members: trust in Jesus and seek Him. Wow.
ReplyDelete