Well, apparently, my husband can. See, the deal is that we finally wore him down about getting a dog. While I decided I didn't want a dog, I still kept the idea tucked away in the recesses of my mind. And then, IT came back... the idea of getting a dog. And this time, it's even stronger than before. The girls have now even chimed in on the idea, so in essence, Randy is outnumbered 3 to 1 and he finally gave in to us getting a dog. But, he had one criteria...it could not be a fluffy dog.
What's that old saying, "Idle hands are the devil's workshop?" Randy was killing time the other day and he got the bright idea that a hairless dog would be the ideal dog for us because no hair equals no allergic reactions for me. Riiiiiight...
So, he came home and said, "Let's get a Xolo dog" and he went on to tell us how extraordinary these dogs are and how smart, companionable, blah, blah, blah they were. Oh, and this particular breed dates back 3000 years ago with no breeder influence, so the dogs are "sturdy, healthier dogs all around." So, he pulls up the internet and shows me a picture of the Xolo dog.
Ummm, yeah. Can't you just see me walking this beautiful dog around the neighborhood? Our newest pet... our pride and joy?And the worst thing about it is, that poor little Elisan is so eager to have a pet, she is going along with this idea. She actually WANTS a Xolo now. I mean, I love you Elisan... but c'mon!
Gimme a fluffy dog any day, but a hairless dog? No thanks. Yep... I think I'll pass on this one.
OK, I feel your pain...we ONCE rescued a Chinese Crested (also mostly hairless--the one that usually wins the ugliest dog contests). It turned out that it also was totally weird...I think not having hair is not natural for a dog...just my opinion for what it's worth. We finally rescued a golden retriever---she was a "manly" dog and loved kids...and just a LITTLE fluffy. Thanks for your kind comments about the move...we made it.
ReplyDeleteIf you're worried about dog hair piling up, get a miniature schnauzer - they don't shed. They do have be be groomed regularly because their hair doesn't stop growing (like human hair.)
ReplyDeletePoodles are the same way, but who needs a poodle when mini schauzers like our Mavis are so sweet.
Okay I must agree I can't see the Xolo snuggling with your girls- now a cute fluffy dog...now that is sweet.
ReplyDeleteWe have had the dog discussion in our house several times- but my husband is one of those people who thinks no home should have an animal inside. Anyway, I can't wait to see how this story ends...good luck!
Haha! That sure is a homely dog. I've heard that some dogs are hypoallergenic, but they probably fall into the "cute and cuddly" category. Sorry, Randy!
ReplyDeleteWe got a Xolo because my husband is allergic to...eh-hem, everything. I can't imagine life without our little xolo. He is so kind, warm, and loves to curl up on the couch with us. After a while, you don't even notice he's hairless. We can have children come into our home at anytime because he's very friendly and never, ever nips. Very affectionate. Very intelligent. And he doesn't stink. Easy to care for, as well. Give me a xolo any day!!
ReplyDelete