01 November, 2008

Doctors, Biopsies, Hospitals, Oh My!

Again, thank you for all of your prayers sent up on my behalf! I'm amazed at the outpouring of love I have received as I've journeyed this path.

Yesterday was my appointment with my general surgeon to meet, discuss and plan my biopsy. But, before that, I woke up at 4:00 a.m., unable to sleep with my brain working non-stop.

So, once I arrived at the drs. office I was anxious and nervous. So, I broke out my "God's Promises for Women" book and was reading the verses on Fear.

I've been praying the verse Hebrews 4:16 "Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." this week and that verse was in the chapter on Fear. God was reaffirming to me that he was there.

BUT, the more amazing part, was that the verse immediately preceding the Hebrews 4:16 verse in my devotional book was Isaiah 30:21.

As you recall, I've stated over and over how God has:
  • Ordered my steps...
  • Directed my path...
  • Guided my path...

Well, Isaiah 30:21 states "Your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."

I mean, could GOD have spoken any more clearer to me in that present moment? Oh man... I've got chills again just thinking about it! HE reminded me, through his word that I'm walking where HE wants me to go. A calm enveloped me at that very moment and I was good to go!


The doctor was AWESOME. She walked right in and got down to business. She examined my breast lump and decided to do a fine needle aspiration biopsy in the office. While she was doing the biopsy, we discussed the more important biopsy of the micro-calcifications. She said, "I'm going to be in downtown Austin today seeing another patient... would you like to set up the stereotactic biopsy today at the downtown hospital and get it over with?" I told her, "YES!"

Okay y'all... this is God's favor at work. I went in to the office thinking I'd only be scheduling the biopsy for next week... but God worked in a way that allowed me to have BOTH biopsies in one day without me having to add an additional burden of a week's worth of worry!

My appointment was at 1:30. I arrived at the hospital, registered and was met by a team... yes, team... of women who work in the breast center. One woman was even designated to hold my hand, pat my back and explain the entire process to me. Isn't that amazing? (For those wondering... no... Randy was not at the biopsy with me. Everything happened so quickly that I had to have him available to pick up the girls from school.)

So, anyway, I was placed on this table (see photo) and once they positioned me in such a way for the doctor to retrieve the slice of tissue from my breast, they finally began. I'll be honest... the machine made the procedure sound horrific, but honestly I didn't feel a thing, thanks to the local anesthetic. The actual tissue removal process lasted about 2 minutes tops. The doctor bandaged me up and I was free to go!
Before I left, the doctor told me that the sample she took didn't look as suspicious as it was originally thought and that she would be surprised if the results came back positive for cancer! And speaking of results... they will be in on Monday!

I truly believe that doctors are so much more proactive in all things breast related these days and I know we have the Susan Komen foundation to thank for that. Breast cancer awareness has made the swift action of treatment possible!

God is so good, y'all! I will be sure to post my results on Monday!

7 comments:

  1. I wish I could have been there to hold your hand and pat your back but am glad they provided that to you! "A team of women" working for another woman is an amazing thing. God IS good.

    LA xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to hear this news!!! I'm sure you can relax a bit this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In this day when all we hear about is why we live in such terrible times...aren't you grateful to live in the age when you can get a breast biopsy, painlessly, in minutes!!! AND results in days...Thank you Lord.
    Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11/01/2008

    Glad to hear such good news! Hope the results come back cancer-free! Praise God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea Erica! It gives me chills when we can see Him work in our scariest moments. Thank you for sharing your faith with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been out of town (in Germany visiting a friend) but you have been in my thoughts as I hope you know. Pleased to hear you didn't have to wait for another appointment and results Monday sounds good. Looking forward to another piece of good news for you. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11/03/2008

    Yeah God! Yeah Doctors! and Yeah Sisters in Christ!
    What a wonderful outcome when we give our fears to the Lord! - Just keep them in the Lord until Monday (that's today!) and hope you enjoyed the weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Just play nice.