The parent's were originally told that the first graders would not be given pool privileges, but upon arrival, we saw that the first graders did in fact have pool privileges. I wasn't worried, until I saw that the pool was mainly 4 & 5 foot depths. The 3 ft depth was only at the stairs.
Well, in case you missed out... Elisan is super short, so 4 ft is petrifying to her - as it should be. And seeing as this was our first time to swim this year, Elisan was a little rusty on her swimming. But, that didn't stop her from pushing off the side of the pool to test her sea-legs. It wasn't long before she realized that she couldn't touch without going underwater and that she had forgotten how to swim.
I'm standing on the edge talking to her and telling her to relax and swim. She then got hysterical on me and begins to flail about and scream as she's trying to bobble up and down. Water is getting in her face and she gave me this look that said, "Mom, I really need you RIGHT now."
At that point, I didn't hesitate and jumped in and grabbed her and pulled her to the side. I was fully clothed. Athletic shoes, socks, shorts, tee-shirt... you get the gist.
Everything happened so fast, I don't think anyone even noticed that 1.) Elisan was struggling and 2.) That I had jumped in, fully clothed - not even the life guard.
After I calmed her down, we decided it would be best for her to stay near the steps. She was happy to oblige.
I'm just glad I was there. I had originally decided not to go, due to prior commitments, but one of my friends from Elisan's school talked me into going instead. I'm so glad she did.
I'm glad you did, too! Me, oh my.
ReplyDeleteSame scenario happened to me with one of my soon-to-be-kindergartners when I worked at a summer program with the YMCA. There were 3 lifeguards on duty at a very small pool, and not one of them had notice she was under. I had to jump in and save her. I had my swimsuit on under my cover-up and no athletic shoes, but man, was it scary! Quite the adrenaline rush. I'm sure as a mom it was even moreso.
OMG!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you were there too! I always tell Lydia to not freak out because that's when people drown. Of course, she's 8 and so maybe she'll heed that wisdom when she's ... much, much older, if at all.
Poor Elisan! I hope she isn't too upset to go swimming this summer!
Blessings!
~Heather
I've got chills. I can't imagine how scary that was for both of you. I'm glad you were there to save the day.
ReplyDeleteGOod job Mom!
ReplyDeletesuper mommy to the rescue!
ReplyDelete