I will say this... I think my worst fear is coming to pass... my child may very well be the grossest kid I know. But, I say this with love... A love only a mom could endure.
Okay, so I was IM'ing my friend today and here's snippet of our conversation:
her:what do u give a couple renewing vows for 10 anniversary?
me: nothing;a card
her: no gift?
me: I mean, give me a break. Ten years? That's nothing, as you know... Besides, have they hit a rough patch and are renewing for a purpose, or just an excuse to have a party?
her: party
on house boat on the lake , heavy party-ers
me: and nothing else? no housewarming, no new kids, no new job?
her: a co-worker, no children
me: I personally WOULD NOT bring a gift. I'd bring a card. I'm sorry... but they don't need gifts. What would you give them? A toaster? Because the one they have is 10 years old?
Okay, so I am totally out of line here? I mean, c'mon... a gift for a 10 year vow renewal? They don't even have kids. It's not like they have "endured" raisin' children.
Is that nonsense? How about unnecessary? Am I just being a tightwad? That's ridiculous, right?
Comments, thoughts?
No, I don't think you are wrong about the gift. Would I be contradicting myself if I suggested bringing them a bottle of wine? I'd do that for a dinner party, etc.
ReplyDeleteJust think of it as a 10th anniversary party- I think wine sounds good. I would be careful assuming they have not endured a lot since they don't have children, they may be looking for something positive to celebrate since they don't have kids :)
ReplyDeleteAnna, you are right in that I shouldn't assume they haven't had a long row to hoe (that's TX talk for hard work)...
ReplyDeleteAnd, I think you are right to think of it as an Anniversary Party... bring a bottle of wine, etc. BUT, this is a vow renewal ceremony... my thought (and Angie will appreciate this) is are they registering for gifts? Oh, I seriously hope not.
Alas, since this is my friend's dilemma, I may not ever know.
If you are invited to a party, you bring the hostess a gift. Bottom line.
ReplyDeleteIt should be thoughtful and not neccessarily have a high price tag.
Registering for gifts other than a wedding shower and a baby shower (for the first baby) is tacky.
registering for gifts would be tacky! I'm sure the party is going to cost them a pretty penny on a house boat. I would be more concerned with what to wear! :)
ReplyDelete