09 April, 2008

Diet Tips

Okay, here's a chance to flex your dieting muscles! So, take this opportunity to comment on a tried and true diet tip that you love to share.

These tips have helped me along the way...

1. Keep fat free yogurt stockpiled in the fridge and eat a container (or drink a smoothie) when you are hungry. For a little pizazz add a teaspoon or two of granola. I usually eat two containers of yogurt a day. A smoothie after the gym, then a fat free vanilla flavored yogurt in the afternoon.

2. Don't just give up the 3 of the four (diet, too!) sodas you drink a day... give them up completely. I can honestly say, that once I gave up soda I felt better. Sure, I crave them every once in a while, and I do allow myself to have it, but only in emergency situations!

3. Log what you eat everyday, and I mean everything! I know... B-O-R-I-N-G! But, you'd be amazed how quickly it all adds up. It's all about accountability. If you can't be accountable to yourself, who can you be accountable to? (I use Daily Plate to track my foods. It's free and user friendly... just sign up.)

4. Eat a snack after dinner. But, try to make sure it is 100 calories or less. Don't go overboard on this one, but definitely reward yourself for a hard day's work of exercise and dieting. I love the Dole Frozen Strawberry Bars. They have 90 calories and are totally yum! Or, a 100 calorie mini-bag of popcorn, with a dash of popcorn salt.

5. Tis the season for fresh yummy fruits and veggies. Eat up! One strawberry has about 7 calories. A medium tomato has about 25 calories.

6. The thrill of the grill! Cook on the grill as much as you can - chicken fajitas, kabobs, turkey burgers, fish, lean cuts of beef. YUM!

It's your turn now... gimme some tips that have worked for you!

4 comments:

  1. Commenting here to get the follow-ups. :-)

    A few almonds or a boiled egg are an easy high protein snack -- great before your workout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chew bubble gum when I need a quick sweet fix. Much less calories than candy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definetly saw the pounds drop when I gave up the soft drinks and sweet tea. I also drink 62+ ounces of water a day. Helps with sore muscles and I heard on Biggest Loser if you are hungry to drink a glass of water. Alot of times you are not hungry, just dehydrated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4/09/2008

    Eating whole foods (fruits, vegetables, grains, as you suggested) fills a person up MUCH faster than processed foods. My body feels "full" once it has the nutrition it needs. Eating a bunch of pre-packaged foods may give the illusion of fullness for an hour or two, but then I'm hungry again. Eating a few of those low-calorie fruits and veggies not only aids weight loss, it gives your body what it needs to function properly and heal itself.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Just play nice.