12 March, 2008

Things that go "OINK" in the night


What is it about sleep that allow us to incorporate sounds into our dreams? I know from my experience that I can be sound asleep and the phone will ring and immediately, I'm dreaming of a phone ringing in my subconscious.

Last night, I was in deep sleep when I heard a tinny tinkling noise. I rolled over and resumed sleep. I then heard it again. This time I subconsciously incorporated that it was some mystery noise downstairs. Well, that's enough to wake anyone up. A noise downstairs? As we're sound asleep upstairs?

I popped up out of bed and asked Randy if he heard the noise (which he did not) and I headed downstairs. Nothing. I even checked my cell phone, thinking that it was tinkling culprit. Nothing.

I crawled back into bed and we lay there for a second or two and the noise happened again, only this time I was not hearing from the depths of my unconsciousness. I was hearing it loud and clear... "Old MacDonald" from the Little People Farm set.

Now, the strange thing is, that I have no idea how that thing was engaging itself to play music. You clearly have to turn the knob to make it play... and yet, there it was... playing for the third time that night. And it wasn't a strained depleted battery sounding song either. It was loud and clear.

I turned the toy off and for the second time that night, crawled back into bed. Wide. Awake. As was Randy. I don't know what time it was that we both finally fell back asleep... 4:00 a.m. or so? So, as you can imagine. I'm tired. Confused. And likely going to rip the batteries out of that toy today.

4 comments:

  1. Giggle - it's the Danish revenge coming to haunt you because you left that singing book with the farm animals behind when you left the country. We heard that for YEARS and believe it or not it is STILL working. Glad there was nobody downstairs. Sleep well this night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/13/2008

    You are one brave chica. No way Jose would I be the one going downstairs, even if Husband was in a deep slumber!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley had an Elmo toy that did that all the time. It was in her room and she never woke up from it but I always did. I hated that thing.

    Noise-making toys are overrated. Take the batteries out!

    LA

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is too funny! Our noise maker is a farm toy too, I think we would have had porkchops the next day if it woke me up in the night!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Just play nice.