I used to get so aggravated at people who didn't share my vigor and knowledge for politics. I would think, "How can you be so uninterested? Politics is a awesome!" I'd truly walk away from heated discussions scratching my head wondering how someone could be so uninformed, or better yet... how can they not support my issues? I've since come to realize that it is virtually impossible to change a person's mind to your political beliefs and that getting all worked up over it is fruitless and a waste of time.
So I've eased up... A LOT. I still enjoy hearing about the political machine, but I enjoy staying on the fringes. It doesn't mean I am uninformed... on the contrary. It means that you will not get me riled up about issues any more. Oh, sure... I've got 'my' issues that I whole-heartedly will defend, but I've learned that they are MY issues and I cannot expect others to embrace them, thus the 'vigor' in my defense is subdued.
My final thought on the matter is this: Just because your issue doesn't jive with my issue, doesn't make you right and me wrong. It makes us different. I wish more people could take the time to understand that concept. It took me a long time to get there.
Maybe I've matured?
Surely not.
SO true - wouldn't the world be a much nicer place if people and countries could say "I beg to differ" and leave it at that.
ReplyDelete