They both earned their dollar, so I handed each of them a dollar and we headed on over to the dollar bin so they could pick out a fun treat.
They toiled over their decision of what to buy and finally when it came time to pay, Elisan could not find her money. She looked in her pocket and it wasn't there. She re-traced her steps and it wasn't to be found. She looked up at me in her sad little eyes and said, "Mommy, I can't find my dollar. Can I have this toy anyway?"
And, as much as I wanted to say, "YES! Of course, sweetheart, accidents happen and I know you didn't intend on losing your dollar." Instead, I had to look her straight in the eyes and tell her that, "No, sweetie. You will need to put it back because you lost your dollar and you don't have any money to pay for it."
Trust me, that did not go over well and she begged and pleaded for me to buy it for her anyway. But, truthfully, what would I have been teaching her had I went on ahead and bailed her out this time? (And the next time and the time after that?)My heart broke for Elisan today. But, nothing about parenting is easy. And sometimes life gets in the way of our fun. But, I know that Elisan learned a valuable (and expensive) lesson today. One that she will not soon forget. And, I learned a valuable lesson today as well... that I AM a good parent, even when it hurts.
ouch, hate those times in parenting.
ReplyDeleteGood job!!! It's really harder on us then them:)
ReplyDeleteAnd may I say I love you for that. I know you have hated every minute of it - but YES that's also what parenting is about and trust me - too many parents forget about that as they try to be their kids BEST friends. I have been a "mean mum" too - and proud of it - but do remember how it felt.
ReplyDelete