Today marks the first day of December. It also marks the first day of the "25 Days of Bloggin' Challenge". It's never too late to join!
I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce the crown jewel of holiday decorations in the Wagner household.
Meet Mr. Snowman.
A little back story on him. He belonged to my mother. I don't know when she received Mr. Snowman, but I know he is at least 30 years old. He was always my favorite Christmas decoration. My mom used to place him on our fireplace hearth, so I was always able to touch him and inspect him.
He's made of ceramic, hand painted by one of my aunts. He was a gift.
I remember telling my mom, as I often do, when I want to remind her that I have first dibs on something ahead of my brother, that "I want the ceramic snowman when you're... um... no longer needing him." I remember her saying, "That old thing? You can have him." And I say, "No, not until you are ready to part with him."
Apparently her attachment to Mr. Snowman was not as strong as mine, because on my next birthday (which appropriately falls in December) she gave me Mr. Snowman. I was thrilled! Finally! He was MINE!
Having taken possession of Mr. Snowman I have taken great care of him. He is not stored away with all of the Christmas stuff. He is stored on a high shelf in one of the closets. I don't take any chances with him.
However, I have a sneaking suspicion that he will not make it for another ceremoniously pass-down to the child o' mine that places first dibs on him. Call it mother's intuition, but I predict a tumbling/crashing death for him. I certainly cannot see him lasting another 30 years.
But, alas... who really knows for sure, right?
So, there he is in all of his Christmas glory. He also marks the beginning of my snowman collection that has grown exponentially over the years.
More on that later!
Yahoo for 25 days. I'm excited!
ReplyDeleteLA xo