With that said, let's begin.
Elisan was invited to a birthday party for one of her soccer teammates/church friends. The party was yesterday and she had a great time.
However, the party mostly comprised of Latinos, so I felt a bit out of the loop seeing is how I don't speak Spanish. Oh, sure, I understand, "que", "aqui", "donde este", "hola", "gracias", but truly, that's about the extent of my knowledge.
Elisan on the other hand is taking Spanish lessons at school. She is not learning to speak Spanish, but is learning the basics like the colors, shapes, body parts, animals, sir names, etc. I think she is even learning a phrase or two.
So imagine my horror, when I go upstairs to check on her and she has some poor little Latino girl corned trying to speak Spanish with her. This was a three-fold problem... 1.) Because the little girl was probably three years old and didn't know what Elisan was trying to accomplish. 2.) Because Elisan did the typical speak LOUDER so they understand routine. 3.) Finally, because Elisan tends to make up her own Hispanic words and tries to 'sound' Hispanic.
I quickly rescued the little girl and told Elisan that is probably wasn't a good idea to practice her Spanish at the party. Elisan didn't quite understand, which is kind of cute... in it's own way.
Which brings me to my last point...
Kids are such unique creatures. Have you ever noticed how kids can play, socialize and interact with anyone, at anytime? I mean, Elisan only knew two other kids from the party yesterday, yet, there were about 30 kids there. But, that didn't stop her from playing with all of them...language barrier and all.
I wish I could be more like my six year old.
So true. We all need to heed the actions of our children. I think the world would be a lovelier place.
ReplyDeleteLaughing out loud- how do we learn the SPEAK LOUDER routine so early?
ReplyDeletethat is pretty funny, you need to share with Pastor D.
ReplyDelete