I'm a honker. Or, a honky... whatever suits you the most.
But, let me say, that I reserve my horn blowing for the most desperate of measures. Like... when someone is about to pull out in front of me, or merge into my lane of traffic or side-swipe me.
I never honk just to be mean. But, I am not afraid to honk my horn. That is, until today.
Today, I was at the gas station, putting some air into my nearly flat tire. As I was pulling out my my spot, another car began to zoom into my lane from the gas tank lane. She clearly did not see me as she zipped ahead of me - as she was not looking in my direction. So? What'd I do. I honked my horn. I wanted her to know, that "Hey! I just had to slam on my brakes because you weren't paying attention!"
So, what happened next? SHE slammed on her brakes, right in front me and swung her door open and hopped out waving her arms and walking right up to the vehicle.
I immediately locked the doors and put my hand up to the glass and drove away. Leaving her standing there.
Of course, as I drove away, I was completely and utterly shocked. I mean, what we her intention of storming up to my vehicle like that? To fight me? Verbally assault me? Who does that, anyway?
And, also, did she think that I was just going to sit there and "let her" accost me? Um... woman, you are out of your vehicle, I'm in mine. No brainer, there.
So, as I drove away, I thought, "Wow, this would be a great blog entry!" So, there it is, folks... I'm a honky! Are you a honky?
Share your "honking-gone-bad" stories here!
I'm a honker, too. No personal stories, but I heard this song on Car Talk the other day:
ReplyDelete"I was feeling pretty Christian, I was loving all my neighbors,
When I saw that bumper sticker there, I didn’t think twice.
My hand went for my horn, And I pushed it with conviction.
When I saw that lady’s finger, It almost put my heart on ice.
And it makes me want to cry, But I may never have the gumption now
To read those one line sermons In bright yellow, black and white.
I’ve been buoyed up so many times While stuck in rush hour traffic,
And forgive me Lord, for saying, But my faith is weak tonight.
You say, ‘Maybe it’s a rental. She could be the second owner.
She could be a Godless sinner In a loaner from a friend.’
While that helps (I do feel better), I just can’t help but see it
As a sign the world is doomed, And we’re that much closer to The End.
I was just flipped off by a silver haired old lady, with a “Honk If You Love Jesus” sticker on the bumper of her car.