06 March, 2007

The difference is like night and day

Why is it so hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that two same sex kids...conceived by the same two parents...nurtured and reared in the same manner... can be so extremely different in so many ways?

Not only to KM and Elisan look differently, but they act differently, play differently, eat differently, talk differently, learn differently and even love differently. How can this be?

Okay, I'm not THAT blonde... but seriously, I figured that hey... having two girls - they'll at least look alike. Nope.

And the sad thing about it is, that I'm still dumb-founded by their distinct differences every day.

  • Elisan is contemplative and intentional. KM is random and spontaneous.
  • Elisan has concentration levels that can surpass that of an adult. KM? Not so much.
  • Elisan is sensitive. KM is not.
The list goes on and on... and, I'll spare you for now.

But because of this, I've noticed I treat them differently. Because Elisan is so intentional and sensitive, I find myself seeking out items that I know she will love and be proud to have. Like a glittery shirt, or a new accessory or a new game. KM is happy with a piece of candy or a juice box.

Maybe it's the age of the girls that I find myself catering more to Elisan's needs/desires - because she is older and appreciates it more... or maybe it's just as I described above... that I have to feed her emotional well-being. Who knows?

I'm glad my girls are so different, but I need to begin to recognize - no, celebrate - their differences and not be so hung up on comparing the two. Elisan is Elisan and Kyla Mae is Kyla Mae. The are different. They are beautiful. And they are mine.

2 comments:

  1. uhg, dont tell me this!!! No, no, no!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said.

    I always knew my parents treated my sister and I differently but I really understand it now that I am a mom to two children.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Just play nice.