
I received an email from my (non-native Texan) friend Kimi about a recipe book that is going to be published featuring recipes from third generation Texan women.
I've always known my roots, but as I pondered the fact that I'm not a third generation Texas, or even a second generation Texan, it really took me aback.
For those who know me personally know that I LOVE TEXAS. Especially since having lived in Minnesota and Europe - albeit, briefly. But, there is no denying that I am a true life Texan... drawl and all.
So, when I "discovered" that I was only a first generation Texan, it a mild blow to my Texas ego. Only a Texan will understand where I'm coming from. Texas is a state of mind, not just a state.
I think people from other parts of the world will never "get" it and truly believe that Texans are strange cow-folk from the backwoods of some farm somewhere in the middle of Cut and Shoot - (which, for you non-Texans...that's a real town!)
Cow-folk or not, I'll take Texas any day of the week!
There is one third-generation Texan in our household and that's Elisan. Randy is a second-generation Texan, which makes her a third generation Texan (minus my genes!)
My poor little KM... She's not a native Texan at all. She's native Minnesotan and last I heard, there is no prize for that. Hopefully, she'll forgive us for that one day!
In the meantime, maybe I'll submit the recipe in Elisan's name. That is, if I had one! Maybe my Cajun maw-maw can loan me a recipe. Afterall, there's a lot of Cajun's in this part of the world, too.
What are your roots?
You got me thinking, and I had to call my dad to verify. I am, in fact, a FOURTH GENERATION Texan! Finally, I have something to be proud of in my geneology. :-) That's on my dad's side. My mom's side are all coon-asses until my generation.
ReplyDeleteFunny you wrote "coonass". I was thinking about using that word, rather than Cajun, but I refrained. I didn't want to offend anyone.
ReplyDeleteWow! Fourth Generation, eh? Pretty cool!
Well, I'm the proud momma of, not one but TWO, native Texans. You are right. Texas is a state of mind. Greatest state in the nation! Boy, do I miss it.
ReplyDeleteMe, I've lived in five states in 34 years with most in New England (MA) though I was born in Wyoming. What does that make me?
You should of put a jar of Texas soil under KM when she was born. We had friends that did that so they can say their daughter was born over Texas soil! :)
Leave it to me to offend. :-) Of course, delete or censor me if you need. Honestly, "cajun" sounds too fancy for my relatives. LOL!
ReplyDeleteI am a 1st Gen Texan, my son is 2nd gen, although I have lived in several different states and countries. I'm as big a Texas fan as the next (especially UT Hook Em! ;), but I miss the East Coast weather & 4 seasons.
ReplyDelete~G
I was born in Montana, and just like the open skies and rolling hills, Texas has always called my name. Like LA, I've also lived all over, but truly feel like this is "home". I hope Nick grows up to feel the same way - he's our 1st gen. Texan!
ReplyDelete