For those of you who have missed it... Elisan is seven and in second grade. And up until Saturday, she believed in Santa. And, I'll admit, it was perpetuated by her parents.
Don't get me wrong, she KNOWS the story of Jesus' birth and can even recite the story from Luke, but she also held on to the belief that Santa was real. So much so, that when she left a note to Santa on Christmas Eve laying on the fireplace hearth, I knew we'd have to come up with a letter from Santa... and pronto!
So, I cut some red cardstock and made a notecard. I had Randy write a letter to her and he signed it in loopy cursive "Santa". She was probably more excited about the card Santa left for her than the toys.
A few days ago, she said she was going to bring her Santa card to school for show and tell. I told Randy about it and we decided that we should spare our little girls' feelings and let her in on the Santa secret. So, I told her on Saturday. I spilled the beans about the Easter Bunny and about the Tooth Fairy as well.
She took the news pretty good, but was literally SHOCKED about the tooth fairy. Why? I'm not sure...
I did let her know though that even though mom and dad were actually "Santa, Bunny and Fairy" that she'd still get gifts, a basket and money. The relief that passed over her face was priceless.
Bless her - did you remember to tell her NOT to tell Kyla yet??? Well done for getting over this first one - are you ready for the "birds and bee-talk" now??
ReplyDelete=0)
Poor girl! I was also in second grade and remember what a blow it was. I sobbed all night long, and the funny part is, I suspected he might not be real because of things kids were saying at school. I'd suspected Santa, but when my parents told me about the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy, that's what put me into hysterics.
ReplyDeleteAwww ~ that's such a big moment for a little girl. My oldest son is our only child who knows the truth and he took it fairly well. He is now our "Santa's helper" on Christmas Eve night. He helps me put out the letter from Santa, the gifts under the tree, etc. Makes him feel pretty darn special! :)
ReplyDeleteSo bittersweet! I bet you were sad/relieved at the same time, though.
ReplyDeleteMy son made it to right before his 11th birthday!! He realized it Christmas morning because he saw my hubby slipping the stocking into his bedroom during the night.
However, we dispelled the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy in a single sweep at the mall one day when he saw other kids getting pics with the bunny. My son was a bit shocked at first but then adjusted. Another phase in childhood that passes....
Have a great day!
We decided to not have Santa give the girls presents. Just to celebrate Jesus' birthday, we will see how it goes. I hated when my parents told me, but 2nd grade is a good age. Will she keep it from KM?
ReplyDelete