27 June, 2013

Road Trip 2013 - Day 1 & 2

Our first day was spent driving.

Across Texas.

We finished our long day of driving in Van Horn, Texas.  Sorry to say, that there was nothing impressive about Van Horn.  It was just a necessary sleep stop along the way.

The next morning, we headed out bright and early to the Guadalupe Mountains National Park.  The plan was to hike the McKittrick canyon trail.

This was our first view of the Guadalupe Mountains National Park.  Pretty and very impressive!


And of course... the traditional park entry photo...


We quickly began our hike down McKittrick Canyon.  It was HOT and we were all armed with our Camelbak hydration backpacks.  (Just to give you an idea.... my hydration pack holds 70 ounces of water... I drank every last drop!)


About 20 minutes to our desired destination which was Pratt Cabin, built in 1931-32, I decided I couldn't finish the trail.  I was hot, tired and afraid that Randy would have to carry me out of the canyon, so I headed back to the trail head/visitor's center which was a 45 minute walk away.

I felt terrible for ditching my family, but I knew my limit.

Anyway, they found the cabin, looked around a bit and joined me at the visitor's center 90 minutes later.  We ate a quick picnic lunch and headed out.

Our next destination... Taos, New Mexico for a night's rest.  Unfortunately we arrived too late in the day to do anything worthwhile in beautiful Taos.  But, we did get an excellent night's sleep in the beautiful El Pueblo Lodge.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like that was a smart idea, only I think I would have stayed at the Visitor's Center to start with.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Just play nice.