17 December, 2012

December 17 - 25 Days of Christmas Blogging Challenge

My list of favorite things continues. Today, I'm going to write about my favorite clothing and accessory items.

If you don't know by now, I'm pretty low maintenance.  I like nice things, but I don't like spending a lot of money.  How does that work?  Well, it works by being patient and seeking out bargains at places that some people... heck, most people, would turn their nose up at.

Look, I'm not gonna lie.  I WISH I could go out and spend $100.00 on a fabulous pair of jeans, but it's just not going to happen.  I'm a stay at home and we live on one income and send our girls to private school on top of that.  So, the purse strings around here can be pretty tight.  But, I will be the first to admit, our needs are always met, but our "wants"... eh, like I said... sometimes it requires patience.

So, I make this list cautiously and preface it by saying...the items on my list have NOT been purchased at full price.  And, the reality of it is... I found these items on super sales, eBay or resale shops (Salvation Army and/or Goodwill.)  With that said, please don't think I spend a lot of money on my clothes, because I do not.    But, there are GREAT deals to be had out there... you just have be... PATIENT.

1. REROCK Jeans By Express. I first learned about these jeans from my friend Kris.  I remember asking her what brand of jeans she was wearing because they looked amazing on her.  I checked online and learned that these jeans can be anywhere from $98.00 - $118.00 depending on style.  So, I decided to check out eBay instead.  I bought my first pair of ReRock jeans on ebay for less than $20.00.  Every pair, with the exception of one pair have been purchased on eBay.  (The one pair I did buy from Express was on super clearance for $25.00.)  I would suggest before purchasing on eBay that you try on at the store to make sure you get the right size for the style you are interested in purchasing.

2. GAP Favorite Long Sleeved T-shirt.  Gotta love a good GAP t-shirt.  And these are no different.  You can usually find these shirts online for less than $13.00/each and if you spend over $50, then shipping is free.  I wear them ALL. THE. TIME.  My only complaint is that I wish they had a smidgen of lycra/spandex in them, but other than that... for $13.00, you can't go wrong. 

I have tried other brands like Old Navy and Target, but have not been as happy with the quality as I have been with the GAP.



3. ME TOO flats.  Oh my!  ME TOO flats are my very all time favorite flats in the world!  Currently I have 4 pairs of Me Too flats - patent black, patent brown, silver (see left) and brown suede. I have my eye on a pair of red patent too, but I'm waiting for them to go on sale (in my size!)  I wear these shoes everywhere and they are so versatile.  The are comfy too (as far as flats go) and I get compliments on them all the time.

I've purchased my flats at TJ Maxx and Amazon, never paying full price.


4. Icebreaker Quantum Long Sleeve Zip Hood.  Y'all, I'm going to be perfectly honest.  I did not know anything about this brand when I found this same exact hoodie at the local Salvation Army for $4.00.  In fact, I was simply looking for a jacket to wear in the mornings on my way to the gym.  And honestly, at $180.00 (yes, you read that right... $180.00!) I would never, ever consider buying this jacket.

But, I love this jacket.  It's 98% merino wool which translates into unimaginable warmth.  I love the way it fits and it's very flattering.  It washes well, there is no pilling and is a beautiful color. 

Would I pay $180.00 for another one?  No, because that is A LOT of money.  But, you can bet I'll be taking care of this one.  (See, good deals can be found at your local resale shop!)

 5. Timbuk2 Messenger Bag (Size Small).  Like above, I had no idea about the brand Timbuk2 when I found my small messenger bag at Goodwill several years ago... again, looking for a small tote bag to carry to the gym and on vacation.   I think I paid around $7.00 for it and it was nearly brand new.

I love this brand.  I love this bag.  Made out of ballistic nylon fabric (read: bullet proof) and a water proof liner, this bag is basically indestructible.

These bags are pretty expensive brand new, but I'm definitely a believer and would pay full price for these bags.  I'd prefer to score another one at Goodwill (and don't think I don't keep an eye for one every time I'm there...) but I think I just got lucky that day.

So, there ya have it.  My list of 5 favorite clothing and accessory items.   I can't promise you that every time you walk into a Goodwill or Salvation Army that you will score an amazing deal, but they are there... trust me.  That's where patience comes into play.  I just keep a "running list" in my head of things I'm on the lookout for and do just that... look out for them.  It's that simple.

(Speaking of lists...I've even begun to train the girls in all manner of thrift shopping.  The other day, Kyla asked me to be on the lookout for a specific soccer jacket.  She just joined a new soccer club and we elected to not buy the $50.00 warm up jacket.  So, what did she do?  She asked me to find her one at Salvation Army and you know what?  I did!  It's a size 10(L), and she wears a size 8(M), but for less than $3.00, it works just fine!)




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Just play nice.