07 September, 2012

Change is good

My poor neglected blog.  Surely...  Surely, I've had things to discuss, dissect and communicate with you, but alas... I've put you aside, my sad pitiful blog.  Forgive me?

So, what's new?  Well, the kids are back into the full swing of school... it's true... the odd number years are the hardest... and lucky us, Kyla is in 3rd grade, which if you've lost track... is an odd year.  Kyla now has full-fledged homework and is studying for tests now.  She had 4 tests this week.  FOUR! 

And let me just say for the record... Kyla is a very bright girl.  She's smart and catches on quickly.  BUT... the girl has the focus and attention of a 2 year old.  I've officially diagnosed her with B.S.O.S., which is "Bright Shiny Object Syndrome". Look it up... It's real.

Elisan on the other hand has officially lost her brain.  Or, at the very least, puberty has officially taken over her brain.  Same thing.


So, we've made a few changes around here.  I've left my beloved YMCA.  I was a member of the Y for over 5 years.  I loved it there and I made many, many friends along the way.  But, it was time to move on. I joined a gym about 3 miles from my house which is awesome because the YMCA was in the next town over, nearly 10 miles away.  I love having my new gym so close to home... and so close to where I run errands to the grocery store, the library, the pharmacy, etc. 

Another change that has taken place in our home is that we've changed churches.  We've been attending our new church since June and we all really like it.  The decision to leave a church is a hard one and finding a church that fits your desired needs is even harder.  This decision did not come lightly and did not happen over-night.  It was a long arduous process... one that Randy and I took very seriously. But, change is good and it's been good for us.

Randy and I are coaching 6th grade volleyball this year at Elisan's school.  Good times.  Randy is such an excellent teacher and coach.  He really has a way of making new ideas and strategies come to life.  I really think he missed his calling.  Also, he's the "good cop" coach.  I'm the "bad cop" coach.  I'm the one that has to yell at them to pay attention, wear proper clothing,  hustle into class.  Yep, that's me.  The girls tell me when I'm using my "mom voice".  But, that's okay.  I'd rather it come from me, than from Randy... and I'm guessing he's thankful he can remain "good cop".

And finally soccer is gearing up this weekend.  I love soccer weekends.  I truly used to loath soccer weekends, but now... I love them.  Funny how that works.  I guess the older they get, the more enjoyable the games are. 

Speaking of sports, I have a soccer mom tip to pass along.  Currently, between both girls, I am responsible for cleaning and caring for 11 DIFFERENT uniforms (including Kyla's school uniform).  Yes... 11.  Kyla has 5 and Elisan has 6.  That means, I have to keep them clean and ready to wear, sometimes twice a week.  After about 5 years of this, I've finally come up with a system that helps me stay organized!

This may seems like a simple solution and it is... however, I used to find myself putting the uniforms "away" after doing the laundry, rather than keeping them on hand for quick retrieval.  And once I put the uniforms and socks away... the girls would always have trouble finding matching shorts and a pair of socks.  It never failed.

So now, I hang the uniforms up with the jersey, shorts and socks on one hanger... AND, I keep them all in one location.

Them, "Mom, where's my soccer uniform?"
Me, "It's hanging up in the laundry room."
Them, "Mom, where's my soccer socks?"
Me, "Same place."

Brilliant.


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Just play nice.