Okay, I have a confession to make. My girls have never had to do chores.
Sure, they make up their beds occasionally, but to be perfectly honest, I make up their beds 90% of the time. They used to be responsible for cleaning the game room once a week. However, because we stay so busy with soccer and school stuff they have very limited "down time". I'd rather that time be spent playing than cleaning.
Tsk, tsk... I know. But here are my thoughts... They HAVE a job... and they are doing it well. They are excellent students at school and they practice soccer 4+ times a week That's their job!
So... what's the hubbub about chores now? Well...it's summertime and it's time to incorporate some chores into our daily routine. Plus, Elisan will be in middle school in the Fall and it's time she learned to do a few things around the house.
Believe me, I'm not dumping a bunch of crazy stuff into their laps like scour the oven. I'm starting off easy... like making beds, sweeping, dusting, emptying the dishwasher, setting the table, collecting trash, washing clothes and folding laundry... easy stuff that doesn't require the use of harsh chemicals. (My rule... not theirs.) I've also added a section for "Quiet Time". Unfortunately, I've had to schedule summer reading time for the girls... otherwise, there would be wailing and gnashing of teeth if I asked them to do it voluntarily.
So far... two days into summer... we've had no complaints. Who am I kidding... check back with me next week to verify that the complaining has begun.
Here's a sample of my chore chart and I've included a blank chore chart to download here.
So, what's your thoughts on chores? The sooner the better? Why start now? Gimme your pros and cons!

We have chores and the girls don't really complain about them. I try to not interrupt them when they are playing to do their chores and I guess b/c they have always had them they have never questioned them. R2 at 18 months unloads the silverware every time he sees the dishwasher open and last night he walked his plate from the table and put it into the sink. So, I don't think there is any age too young. I did not have chores and when my mom finally made me have them it was torture on her and I. Also, I had no idea how to cook and really clean for that matter when we got married.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies (please, notice the new url for my blog), under the Page 3 post on May. 31, 2012. Thanks again.
ReplyDeleteLOVE IT!!!! I need to call you!
ReplyDeleteKendi
We try to get it all taken care of sometimes we get a-day-ahead that`s always a blessing.I have a 10yob & twin 3yog`s..THANK YOU ;~}
ReplyDeleteI am with you on this one. In fact I started my DD out earlier - like she was responsible of making sure there was toiletpaper in both bathrooms daily. Not a big deal but still a chore. And nobody leaved the table without taking their plate and glass to the dishwasher. However I never paid her for doing her chores. She had a weekly allowance for tiny things - but in my opinion working together as a family should not be something you did to be paid. But thats just my 5 cents. I'm sure your girls will do well and still have time for summer and fun things.
ReplyDelete