14 December, 2011

Christmas Blogging Challenge



It's the Christmas Blogging Challenge edition of Erica's Blog Brain Dump.

So, I've said it time and time again... I WILL NOT ever be a room mother for either of my children's classes. Never, ever, ever, ever!

Of course now because I used the word NEVER, I'm sure I'll sign up for it next year.  But, as it stands for now, I have no desire to hold the position of room mother.  Honestly, I just can't deal with the 1.) Hover parents; 2.) Parents who never contribute; 3.) Parents who think they can do a better job.

Unfortunately, I tend to fall into the 3rd category.  Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to help, pitch in, donate money, drive the field trip car pool... you name it.  But, it seems as if there is always some event (party or field trip) that goes awry for one reason or another.  I know, it's a thankless job and someone has to do it...yadda, yadda, yadda...  I'm just glad it ain't me.

So, for now, I'm minding my P's & Q's, and doing what is asked of me.  But, it's not without mild grumbling here and there.

Any room mother's out there that want to use my blog as an open forum to vent?  Feel free to comment!

I just ordered another new camera lens for my camera and I'm pretty excited about it.  It's all part of my birthday/anniversary present from Randy.  He basically gave me an allotment to spend however I wanted.  So, I chose camera lenses.  I ordered a AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Lens (or Prime lens).  Last week, my AF-S NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Zoom Lens arrived and I love it!

I ordered my camera and both lens from B&H Photo Video and I could not be more happy with them.  They are in New York, so everything I've purchased from them has been tax-free.  Plus, the shipping has been free as well. Their pricing is also very competitive.  If you are in the market for anything camera related and do not mind buying online, try B&H.

Our family doctor recently recommended some books for Elisan to read.  The books are "The Princess and the Goblin" and "The Princess and Curdie" by George MacDonald. Published in 1872, the books are fantasy books with a Christian message on faith for both children and adults alike.  (Think C.S. Lewis.)
I mention this because the books are free to download on Kindle. So far, she really likes it.  I'm so thankful for a Christian doctor!

Each year I have a set budget of what I spend on each girl for Christmas.  So far, I've found some really great deals and I'm happy with my purchases.  However, I still need to pick up a few more things, but I'm having a really hard time finding that perfect gift for them this year.  We are not doing a "big" Santa type present this year, so they are getting a lot of little things.  So ye old wise Internets... any suggestions for 8 & 10 year old girls?

That's all for now.  I need to get up from this computer and work on finishing the teacher gifts.  Hopefully I can upload a picture of the teacher gifts on tomorrow's blog installment.

1 comment:

  1. Second year room mom here, and I'd love to hear more about your specific criticisms. Too many emails asking for help/donations? Messy party activities? Too much sugar? I've done it both years because no one else volunteered, so I assume folks are not going to criticize me for something they weren't willing to do. . . but I never thought that some might be biting their tongues about how it goes. I will say that both years, I've been very pleased with how parents have stepped up to help and donate (and we're talking public school here, not private.) I don't have anything to vent about the job. I like that I am "in" the loop both with the parents and the teacher. I like that I have easy access to the school and classroom (though I am careful not to abuse that.) I am very thankful that there are plenty of parents willing to help out.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Just play nice.