
Yesterday morning, Kyla came downstairs and crawled into my lap and we had some special mommy/daughter bonding time before the morning mayhem began. Here's how the conversation went.
Kyla: "Mommy, do you know that there is an iPad?"
Mom: "Yes, I saw it on T.V."
Kyla: "Mommy, do you know how many dollars it costs?"
Mom: "I think about $500. Maybe you can save your money to buy one?"
Kyla: "No. I think Elisan should save her money to buy one, and then I can have her iPod Touch."
Mom thinking: 'smart cookie!'
So, last night, after soccer practice we're all sitting at the dinner table talking about Elisan's practice and Randy announces to me that Elisan needs to start wearing deodorant. Okay, seriously, I am mortified. I mean, this is my baby. My 8 year old baby. AND, this deodorant proclamation is coming from my husband! I do that thing with my eyes that alerts him to DROP THE SUBJECT immediately and he does not. He says... what's the big deal? We all stink... it's human nature. Again, with the eye thing, but this time I throw in a head bob in the direction of Elisan and finally, the man stops talking about it.Later on, after we put the girls to bed, I tell him that the fact that she needs deodorant isn't THAT big of a deal (well, to me it is, but I knew it was coming eventually...) the BIG deal lies in the fact that her DADDY... a MAN... is telling her that she stinks! AHHHHHHH, yes... ding, ding, ding... he gets it now. So, that's settled. But, then, it doesn't stop there.
Elisan comes downstairs this a.m. and the first thing out of her mouth to her Daddy is, "Daddy, do I really need deodorant?" (Me... screaming inside 'please be delicate with her... please!') And he says, "Just when you play soccer, I think... you know, when you get sweaty and stuff." (Me...breathing sigh of relief...)
Now, the big issue is, making sure I get a "teen" version of deodorant that is acceptable to Elisan. I'm sure the novelty will wear off in a day or two... And, then of course, she'll need to wear it and will forget... Ah, to be the mom of a prepubescent little girl.
Lord, give me wisdom on how to raise Your daughter in a way that is pleasing to You. Help me to raise her the way You want her to be raised. Thank you for entrusting her little life to me, someone so utterly clueless and undeserving. Amen.
nice recovery by Daddy!
ReplyDeleteyes, we went through that last fall. Arlie's ten so the big issues are just around the curve.
ReplyDeleteHow cute and yes remember all these milestones well and how often Dad being a "boy" was an issue and then other times where she couldn't care less and would ask him to buy her a pack of Tampax when he was out shopping and he nearly died until I told him they were on the shelf at the supermarket and he could sneak them into the trolley without anyone seeing him buying them. =0) OH the joy of parenting. =0)
ReplyDeleteSame thing here. We got Tom's of Maine, lavender. G loves it! :)
ReplyDeleteLove your prayer and will be using it myself. Taking notes as this is in my future sooner than I would like I'm sure.
ReplyDelete