I'll have to be honest here. It looked neat. It even had a video camera mounted on the top of the machine to transmit your dancing/singing image to the television screen. So, I promptly took it to the counter and bought it.
That evening, I looked up reviews for it online. That's just me. Admittedly, I'm not very savvy on making impulse purchases so I wanted to make sure my impulse buy was up to snuff. What did I find? I found a poorly reviewed product! Bah!
So, I began poking around the internet for highly reviewed karaoke machines and what do you think I found... nothing under $100.00 that was worth a hill of beans. Honestly, I didn't want to pay more than a $100 bucks so I felt I was wasting my time looking at overpriced OVERSIZED "stereos". Then, I began to rethink the whole karaoke machine idea.

Then, I came across this. It is two microphones that plug into your DVD and/or TV. It uses your sound system (in our case - surround sound system) and you pop the CD in your DVD player and the words appear on the screen. AND, this system was only $35.00 at Frys. HELLO!!! Did you hear that? No oversized stereo component and it was $65.00 cheaper and it comes with TWO microphones and 3 CD's. If you wanted to buy the single microphone version, it is only $20.00. Score!
The music on the CD's is kind of sub-par, but who cares. At this age, they will be just happy to have a microphone in hand.
Speaking of music... I bought them a karaoke cd to go along with the original $100 purchase and I thought I'd have to take it back because the CD was CD-G format and it stated on the case that it would not function on any other component except CD-G compatible machines - i.e. overpriced karaoke machines. Well, I'm here to say that yes, it does. Well, at least it does on ours. I did a little research on the CD-G format and apparently any DVD players manufactured after 2003 will play the CD-G format. Score again!
I'm so thrilled with this find! I hope that this helps some of y'all!
Be sure to check out Goodwill Gal too! I'm posting for the 25 Days of Christmas Blogging Challenge there as well!
Wow! What a great idea! I have been avoiding a Karaoke Machine for my kids for all the reasons you stated. I'm definitely going to have to look into this. Thanks!
ReplyDelete