15 July, 2008

Pool Police

It is HOT in Texas! So much so, that the only way to be outside, is poolside. So, that's where we've been. Everyday. At the pool.

We're fortunate to have a neighborhood pool. It is managed by the Home Owner's Association, to whom we pay mucho dinero each quarter, for the privilege to not only use the pool, but live in our neighborhood. Yes, that's right. HOA dues are not optional. They are mandatory.

Paying HOA dues means you have access to the pool. With an electronic key that is also managed by the HOA. The kicker is, that you have be current on your dues to maintain access to the pool.

Herein lies the problem. Not everyone keeps their dues paid up. And, in effect, I have become the Pool Police.

I've had several instances when people have come up to the gate standing there asking me to release the gate from the inside. I ask them where their key is. They say they either forgot it, it won't work (i.e. their access has been revoked) or whatever excuse they can come up with to get inside the gate.

I am not a mean person. I am, however a rule follower. I refuse to open the gate for anyone who doesn't have a key. I don't care if someone else does it. But, I won't.

See, the deal is this. We have to PAY to maintain our privilege. If you choose NOT to pay, then, in effect, you are choosing NOT to swim. Why should I cater to your disregard?

The second thing... for some reason our pool attracts people who don't live in our neighborhood. I don't know why. Perhaps it is because other residents willingly allow people to enter the pool area without a key... (See? It is a vicious cycle!) The other day, I was sitting there with the girls and we were the only people there. A family of 6 kids and one adult came to the gate and asked me to let them in. "Where's your key?" I said. "We just moved here and we didn't get one," they say. I reply, "You should have received your key when you moved in. I'm sorry you don't have a key, but I can't let you in."

They left. Screeching out of the parking lot, blaring on the horn and cussin' me out as they drove away. (Something tells me that they didn't actually live here. Yes?)

So, the burning question is... am I just too extreme in my rule following? Or should I relax and allow a few people here and there to cool off in the pool and spend a little time outdoors? What do you think?

8 comments:

  1. Kick 'em out! It's surprising how far people will go to get something for nothing.

    Now, what happens if a friend/neighbor would ask you to open the gate? How would you know if they were dilenquent in paying their dues?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I s'pose that is where you land on a slippery slope. I mean, how could I not allow a friend entry? Only if I didn't want them as a friend anymore, right?

    Luckily, I don't have many friends in the neighborhood! ;) Ha... sad, but true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7/15/2008

    We have a similar scenario here, only I don't know if they do the "your key stops working if your dues are late" thing. We've not been late, and we've only used the pool twice in the 2+ years we've been here.

    I'd probably do the same as you unless I knew them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a toughie for me because I have no backbone. I'd most likely pretend I don't hear the person. I have propped the door for folks, though, coming in right behind me. Didn't think a thing of it. Now, I have forgotten my key once. I was glad someone let me in so that I didn't have to walk home, kiddo and all, to retrieve the key. I never thought about people not having access b/c they didn't pay their dues. I just assumed it was people who forgot the key or who didn't live in the 'hood.

    Our HOA has resorted to weekend lifeguards who make sure folks have their cards. It's nice not to be the bad guy, but you know we'll pay for that in our dues eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the other thing that bothers me about letting people in the gate is the liability factor. Suppose someone gets seriously hurt or worse, drowns... and they are either 1.) Not a resident; or 2.)A minor. Who would be responsible for that? Me? The HOA? That's a chance I don't want to take!

    ReplyDelete
  6. More power to you. I just couldn't handle the pressure of the position. ;) But I am in agreement with you that you shouldn't let them in if they don't have their key. How are you supposed to know??? It seems pretty simple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7/15/2008

    Thank goodness we don't have that system, because I also have no backbone. I am a no confrontation kinda gal.
    Our neighborhood pool does wristbands and you are checked by a lifeguard at the gate. The bands have to be worn because they have a number on them that corresponds to all your info on file in case something happens to you at the pool. I can see the day when my boys are rough housing at the pool and get in trouble and I get a call!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with you all the way. I am not mean either but I have chosen the charity I like best and support that. I am not willing to support every Tom, Dick and Harry that would like to be part of the game but not pay their part of the costs. I would not let any minor in without their parents either.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Just play nice.