My ongoing and thus time consuming painting projects will include our gigantic gameroom, the hallway connecting our bedrooms, Kyla's room, the girls' bathroom and re-painting Elisan's BARBIE (BARF) PINK bedroom.
So, what are the new "in" colors? I need some help here!
Elisan's Barbie Pink Room - What was I thinking?
Oh! I know... I was thinking that that 1x1 color swatch was the perfect pink color when I was at the Sherwin Williams store two years ago!
Oh! I know... I was thinking that that 1x1 color swatch was the perfect pink color when I was at the Sherwin Williams store two years ago!
The previous owners did the stencil. It was okay for their "theme", but I have never liked it. I'm thinking a pale lavender color here.
This room is HUGE! It needs a major update, but I'm at a loss. I'm thinking of making some window coverings, too.




Only one of your pictures is showing up, but here are my thoughts Remember, I a non-decorator, so its free advice and you get what you pay for ! :) For a bathroom, I would go with a pale yellow and white--think a french country kind of look. The Pottery Barn looks great and with a large room, it should translate well to your space. My dd has a small room and late afternoon/evening, the room looks like a Pepto bottle exploded in her room. Upset stomach indeed! Good luck with your choices! Painting is so liberating!
ReplyDeleteAnna is my color expert, she is excelletn with color choices. E-mail her, she gave me input on all of our rooms. I like the pink from PB, I would do that. I like khakis for big rooms. I would do it for the game room and maybe hall. I don't remember the girls bathroom, but I remembered I liked it.
ReplyDeletePainting?!? Get a realtor in to tell you what is selling right now - probably beige, beige, and more beige!
ReplyDeleteLA xo
Oooh I love that color of the botom photo! It is fanastic! I ran into your blog through 5minutesformom
ReplyDeleteOh fun! I have degrees in such areas, and love to give my opinion (whether it is heeded or not--I will not take offense). So, in random order:
ReplyDeleteFor Elisan's room, I love the color you chose, but since she already has a lot of pink decorative accents, you might want a color that will bring those out rather than cause them to blend in, like a buttery yellow or a sky blue (both appear to be in her quilt, too, which is a nice touch).
For Kyla's room--I think if you pick the right (and very light) shade of lavendar, it could turn out well, but if the entire room is lavendar, you'll end up with the same sickening feeling Elisan's room gives you now. Perhaps a chair rail 1/2 way up the wall with white painted below (or wainscot if you can afford it) and lavendar above. Some art in white frames to finish it off...
Their bathroom--as they get older, they're going to want good the best light in their bathroom they can get. Really saturated colors in a small room like that can cast a tone over one's face that makes it hard to tell what you really look like, so I'd suggest something muted and simple like a pale yellow, green, or beige. Then you can punch it up with sassy colored towels and accessories.
Family/multi-use rooms can be hard. I like the Americana theme you seem to have going with the throw and pillows. What if you did an accent wall in a dark red (the wall with the windows) with a lighter beige/stone on the rest. Or...if you're not keeping with the Americana theme, I think a nice pale something, even a yellow again would go well with the colors of the sofa and loveseat (here's a room I like: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_design_living_area/article/0,,HGTV_3376_3730292,00.html)
Again, take my advice or leave it.
Hope you have fun re-doing!
Ok, my last comment wasn't helpful and I'm sorry. I've given it some thought and like some of minnesotamoms ideas.
ReplyDeleteI think Elisan's room doesn't have many windows, right? I worry that the raspberry color, which is beautiful, might make the room too dark. I like the idea of a yellow or the green in her quilt. It looks like a fresh, spring green.
KM's would be cool with the chair rail and lavendar to match her quilt.
I like a toast color (brown) for your game room which is awesome BTW. Great games! Or that reddish color I had in my TV room in TX. Remember that? I think something rich and darker since it is such a big room. That would make it more cozy. Maybe start with the curtain and then pick a color to match?
It will be fun to see it all again in March. Get your swatch's for then and I'll look at them.
Cheers! LA
How about a turquoise and brown for the girls' bathroom? I envision brown and turquoise polka dotted accents.
ReplyDeleteFor your game room, it's so big, I think a bold color (like the maroon red in your old dining room in GTown) or a brown like we did in the living room. I love how cozy it feels. On the red, it takes MANY, MANY coats, though, so in such a big room, doing all the work yourself, I'd cross that one off.
I love painting! You can do it- I did a couple of rooms all by myself! I think you have a good sense about what to do... I love the lightest of lavender for KM and I vote for a lt. green or blue for Elisan. I think going raspberry pink like PB for the bathroom would be fun. It'll look sharp against the white of the shower curtain. I vote red for the gameroom! I can't wait to see after pics!
ReplyDelete