Now, to be fair, I am an average height of 5'4". My mom is 5'2" and Randy's mom is 5'1". So, realistically, Elisan doesn't have women-folk height on her side.
At Elisan's last well-child check up we talked about Elisan's lack of growth. She has been gaining weight steadily, but not growing upward. The doctor told me to keep an eye on things and if there wasn't any significant growth by April, then she'd conduct a "failure to thrive" study on Elisan to determine why she is lacking.
Okay, honestly... that freaked me out! FAILURE TO THRIVE? I have the most thriving-est kids on the block, or so I thought! But, the fact remained, that Elisan was/is wearing 5T clothing and a size 10 1/2 shoe.
(Sidenote: Her foot did not grow at all last year and the funny thing is that I often buy shoes out of season to get a better deal, so she has stacks of shoes in her closet that she hasn't even worn! That is every woman's dream, right?)
Elisan has even noticed that she isn't quite as tall as the other kids in her class. She's not devastated, but she notices. She asked me a while back why she wasn't as tall as some of the other kids in her class and we talked about how my mom and Randy's mom were short and that she'd probably be short just like them. We also talked about how I wasn't very tall either. She mentioned that Kyla was getting tall and I honestly told her that Kyla Mae would probably be taller than her. Heck, Kyla Mae will probably be taller than me!
Yesterday, I decided to measure Elisan with our decidedly ultra-precise measuring device and take a look at the results! Not only has Elisan grown, but she grew 1 inch since October. That is incredible news.
I'm so glad too, because now, we'll be able to forgo the growth testing in April if she keeps it up. I'm thrilled!
That's great news! I'll pray that she keeps on growing :O)
ReplyDeleteMy daughter is also very small. She just turned four and still fits into 2T clothes. She only weighs 28 lbs and she wears a size 7.5 shoe. I explain it to onlookers that it’s my genetic fault. I’m only 4’11 and we won’t talk about my weight. I have yet to get the “failure to thrive” chat from the doctor yet though. That’s a little scary.
ReplyDeleteStormi
that is great, that she grew an inch. I love being small except for the whole thing about the world being built for tall people.
ReplyDeleteGood news! That is such a scary phrase for doctors to use. Why can't they say something nicer? It almost makes it sound like they blame you, the parents, for her lack of "thriving." Sheesh.
ReplyDeleteI loved the photo of the "measuring stick," too. Fun traditions!