
It's early in the morning, and what is that I hear outside?
It is a dog... BARKING! And, lo and behold! It is the same dog that was BARKING... last night, as we went to bed.
I am not a bad person. I like animals just as much as the next person. But, can I just say something here in the safety of my very own blog!?
To all dog owners of the world: Only YOU love your dog.
- Your neighbors do not love your dog.
- The postman doesn't love your dog.
- The neighborhood kids love your dog, but only to torment it.
- The early morning joggers do not love your dog.
- Friends who come over to visit... do not love your dog - jumping, licking, sniffing, barking on and around them.
I've probably offended all of you. By now, I realize most of you out there have dogs. And, truth be told, I'd love to get the girls a dog too. All I'm saying is this... if you have a dog and it is an outside dog (even in a neighborhood where outside dogs are prohibited!) please keep it from barking ALL.NIGHT.LONG!
Secondly, please be respectful of your neighbors and if their kids (or, hey... even MY kids) are outside playing... please bring your dog in so that it doesn't stand at the fence barking continuously at the kids (or, hey... even MY kids) while they are trying to play.
And for goodness sakes... please keep your dogs from jumping on my kids. My kids love the idea of a dog, but when push comes to shove, my kids don't love a strange dog jumping on them. They just don't. I don't. And they don't.
So, you see? I'm not really being mean here... I'm just speaking up for all of the non-dog owners and their kids out there who have tolerated barking dogs in the middle of the night (or, um... morning.)
(Edited to add... As Randy was leaving for work today, he cautioned me in saying, "You know, people love their dogs like they love their children. You may get comments back saying, 'We don't love your kids.'"
Well, I'm here to say that kids are not pets, they are human. I don't ask you to love everyone in the world, just as I'm not asking you to love my kids. They're kids! They stink, they're sticky and they burp and toot on command. Take it from me...children are hard to love if they aren't your own!)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI like dogs - but I have no problem at all with your entry. Not all people should be allowed to own dogs - dogs are not bad - some of them are just NOT owned by well behaved people and have therefore not been taught "who is the boss". Barking, sniffing etc. is only part of the problem - there has been several AWFUL and fatal accidents where dogs have attacked and mauled children.
ReplyDeleteIf you own a dog - you own a responsability too. AND if your dog is of a type or size that could be dangerous to others - we are talking about a mighty BIG responsability.
All this said - dogs can be nice too.
I could not agree more! And we have 2 dogs! And one barks at all of those times! We have been in the process of finding them a new home because of all the reasons in your post! I am so done with dogs! We thought they would be great for the kids to "grow" with, well, the dog always grows faster, runs faster and jumps higher!
ReplyDeleteBye, bye doggies!
That is why we got breeds that don't bark for pleasure. And certainly when they bark outside I bring them in.
ReplyDeleteLA
Amen. Twice.
ReplyDeleteDogs = NOT kids. Most dogs do not like to wear clothes. Even sweaters.
I like dogs. But they are dogs.
When I lived in "the little green house" in college, our neighbor next door (who was in my classes) adopted a beagle. Ugh. Noisiest dog ever. One night it got so bad that I though, "Maybe he's hungry. Maybe he needs love." So I tried to pet him. No way was THAT happening. So I tried to feed him a hot dog. I ended up just chucking it at him. It kept him quiet for about .7 seconds and then he resumed barking.