I recalled eating homemade versions of Chex Mix (a.k.a. TEXAS TRASH) and they always tasted so much better. So, I went on the hunt for a yummy snack mix recipe and here's what I found.
This is by far the best recipe for TEXAS TRASH I've ever tried.
6 tablespoons of butter (melted)
1/4 cup hot sauce (like Crystal's - not Tabasco!)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoon of steak seasoning (or all purpose stuff like Tony Chachere's)
The Trash:
Corn Chex Cereal
Captain Crunch Cereal
Cheddar Goldfish
Pretzel Sticks
Mixed Nuts, including sunflower seeds (bulk bin item)
Honey Roasted Sesame Sticks (bulk bin item)
Wasabi Peas (bulk bin item)
Add/mix the dry ingredients to your liking. If you like a lot of Chex cereal, then add a lot. Same with Goldfish Crackers... Add what you like and how much you like. There is no science to this recipe.
Then,
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In a shallow 2-quart baking dish, mix together melted butter, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire and all purpose seasoning
- In a large bowl, mix up TRASH.
- Pour mixture into pan with butter mixture and toss to coat evenly and thoroughly with the butter sauce.
- Place baking dish in the preheated oven, and bake, stirring every 10 minutes or so, for 1 hour, or until dry and lightly browned.
- Cool completely, then store in a tightly covered storage container.
I LOVE Texas Trash!!! It's my favorite!! I just ate a bunch at a party;)
ReplyDeleteI love this stuff. But with the price of cereal and nuts these days, it is so expensive to make!
ReplyDeleteApart from me not having a clue about what half of the stuff mentioned is - I'm sure it's YUMMY.
ReplyDeleteI've never heard of Texas Trash. Funny but yummy.
ReplyDelete