Randy and I often have conversations about the "Entitlement Theory". There seems to be a vast population of people out there that seem to think that something... whatever... is owed to them.
Not sure why. Maybe because of the plain and simple fact that they exist? Who knows.
We don't preach entitlement at our home. If anything, we teach our kids that you work hard for the things that you want and even then, you don't always get what you want.
So, imagine my surprise when my dear child tried to persuade me - using the entitlement argument.
Here's how it went down:
Me, "Elisan, what do you want in your lunch today? Peanut butter and jelly sandwich, ham and cheese sandwich, or a lunchable?"
Elisan, "None of those taste good to me anymore."
Me, "Uh-huh. Okay, so which one of those do you want?"
Elisan, "Nothing."
Me, "Okay."
Minutes pass...
Me, "Elisan, last time... what do you want to eat for lunch?"
Elisan, "Well, mommy, some of my friend's mommy's bring them their lunches from McDonalds. I think I want that today."
Me, "Yeah... well, that's not going to happen today. So, a lunchable?"
Elisan, "Okay." (Looooong sigh.)
So, yes, my child not only thinks she is entitled, but privileged as well.
(Darn those entitled kids.)
You and your hubby are so right on!
ReplyDeleteI have a Randy too as a hubby!
Good for you guys!
Ugh! You know, when I taught, there were 8th graders who were delivered their lunches (Thundercloud, Schlotzsky's, etc.) daily.
ReplyDelete-gasp- Really? Lunch delivered? Someone needs to slap those parents on my behalf! ;)
ReplyDeleteBut if they didn't deliver them McDonald's, we wouldn't have spoiled kids to watch on that MTV sweet sixteen show.
ReplyDeleteKidding. :)
Gabriel
I love how she is already working the long sigh, I have yet to experience that one!
ReplyDelete~GINA